Water hammer: still knocking after installing arrestors

Users who are viewing this thread

Clint Grammer

Reaction score
I've been having a knocking problem ever since I bought the house a little over a year ago, and I have some Sheetrock out and figured to fix the problem. I installed 2 water hammer arrestors where the knocking is coming from (one on cold line, one on hot), the knocking stopped for a couple a couple of days, then returned. It will knock with all faucets inside the house, but will not knock with irrigation system. Pressure inside the house is 54 Psi. Any ideas how to get the knocking to stop before the sheetrock goes back in?

Attachments

• 20170607_142752.jpg
    20170607_142752.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 10,971

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Do you have a PRV for the home? It may be that if it's only the home, all faucets and not irrigation.

Also, some knocking can occure with loose washers on shutoffs. But that would be just the fixture served.
How about the tub faucet there? Does that hammer? If so, maybe a new cartridge.

Clint Grammer

Reaction score
There is no prv, but I do feel like the pressure in the home is a little low. But the city did just tear down the closest water tower to my house that took a direct hit by an EF4 tornado 3 days after I closed on this house so I'm not sure if that is why the pressure is lower. All pipes in that area is tight and properly secured. The tub faucet is 20 years old, but it is tight with no movement. Do you think that since my pressure is lower than normal, that there might not be enough pressure for the arrestors to work properly?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A hammer arrestor works only when you shut a valve off...the inertia of the moving water pushes on the piston or bladder in the arrestor instead of moving the pipe, or hammering it into some hard surface. In a dramatic situation you'd see the pipe literally jump when you shut something off. IF it comes on when you open a valve, I don't see how this is a typical water hammer.

To work best, arrestors need to be near the end of the line of the offending valve, i.e., near the valve, not somewhere in the middle of a run. Most common ones that can close fast enough and can create a water hammer are:
- washing machines
- some toilet fill valves
- ice makers
- humidifiers
- some shower valves

It has to be something that shuts off fast, not a typical valve with a volume control that is turned off, slowing the flow as you do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks