Water filter compare

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve7878

Reaction score
Need to replace an old american plumber whole house water filter.
Found 2 pentex filter and housing that will work.

But have to say I dont understand the info below. Would both be the same? Comparing filter #1 and #2.
Does one restrict pressure or volume more.
Thanks

INITIAL ∆P (PSI) @ FLOW RATE (GPM)

2 psi @ 15 gpm ( 0.14 bar @ 57 Lpm = Filter #1

1 psi @ 10 gpm (0.07 bar @ 38 Lpm = Filter #2

Reach4

Reaction score
Based on just that spec, #2 would appear to restrict a bit less, but they look similar. Note that the specs like you cite say "initial", and as the filter does its job, the backpressure will rise.

Having a way to measure the pressure before and after can be informative.

Reach4

Reaction score
The Pentek Big Blue housings take 4.5 inch diameter cartridges, and those will hold more sediment before the backpressure rises to a given level.

The Pentek Big Blue usually have a pressure release button, which is important if you put in a 3-valve bypass.

Having a bypass is best, but if you don't have one, it is important to keep an extra o-ring handy when you change cartridges. Sometimes you cannot get the old o-ring back in. With no bypass, and no spare o-ring, an o-ring problem puts your water system out of commission.

Steve7878

Reaction score
The Pentek Big Blue housings take 4.5 inch diameter cartridges, and those will hold more sediment before the backpressure rises to a given level.

The Pentek Big Blue usually have a pressure release button, which is important if you put in a 3-valve bypass.

Having a bypass is best, but if you don't have one, it is important to keep an extra o-ring handy when you change cartridges. Sometimes you cannot get the old o-ring back in. With no bypass, and no spare o-ring, an o-ring problem puts your water system out of commission.

I was actually looking for one WITHOUT a pressure relief. But I can get each model with or without. My reason was looking at reviews. It does seem sort of common for there to be a leak at the PR valve. So I figured one less thing to worry about. I will have the 3 valves for bypass. And usually just need to replace the filter once a year and use a new O-ring. Really wish American Plumber still mage my model. That was more like a thick gasket compared to the thin o-ring everyone seems to use now.
Open to suggestions. Like is there a simple way to install a plug into the PR valve if every a problem. Would hate to have to replace the head unit if that happened. I am thinking, keep it simple. Last one I have had for about 30 years. I happen to read on most. The clear plastic filter holders are supposed to be replaced every few years. And that is what I have now. And cant get gasket any longer. So was going with the solid cover on this new one.

Seiyafan

Reaction score
It depends on the flow rate, if it's less than 8 GPM then the difference between 3/4'' and 1'' is negligible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks