Want to trade in my plunger for a new toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

FedUpWithLoFlow

Reaction score
I can't take it anymore! We inherited an early version low flow when we bought our building 8 years ago. I considered it zen training to patiently hold the handle down and wait, and wait and wait until just the right moment, a second or two before overflow when the pressure would break through and take down the unmentionables:eek: . That was then and this is now - my Zen training is complete and I want a toilet that works!

My question/problem is this: The distance from the wall to the center of the mounting bolt is exactly 11 3/8". Our bathroom walls and floor are circa 1923 tile set in concrete with no baseboard. So I'm looking for a quality toilet that can be set into the existing bolts. Non-elongated (space is tight).

Any suggestions!

Thank you for reading.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A 12" rough-in toilet will work. Check out Terry's "Report on Low Flow Toilets" on the homepage, then get a Toto.

Achutch

Reaction score
Good advice...

Gary Swart gave you some good advice. Until I got my Toto Drake, I considered the 1.6 toilet an abomination. It's been almost a year since I installed my Toto, and it hasn't plugged yet. Good luck with your search.

achutch

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need to check the manufacturer's drawings for the specific toilet you are interested in, but most toilets allow space behind them so it is possible to use a 12" rough-in toilet when you have less room. It depends on the model. There is often also a little wiggle room since the flange bolt hole is usually larger than the diameter of the bolt, too. You can't offset much, but the combination of the "normal" space and going to the limit on the flange bolt will often do it.

FedUpWithLoFlow

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm looking into a Toto Drake with 12" rough in. Trying to find a supplier in my area (Chicago). I'll let you know how it flows.

Best,

Colin

Donna Shoemaker

Reaction score
Fed up with LoFlow

You might appreciate this one....they put low-flow toilets in the US Senate building when they were the big thing to do and would save the planet.

The building is old and the plumbing old, so about every other day the toilet pipes were backing up. Just too much you-know-what coming out of that building!

They are gone. All replaced with American Standard with no flow restrictions.

We - the taxpayers - paid for that. So low-flow is a thing of the past.

Get the Toto. I have 5 (4 in main house and one in a guest house) and they have needed some minor repairs but nothing costly. You can make repairs yourself.

I also would suggest the high rise toilet. We are older (61 me and hubby) and figured in the long run we would appreciate the higher sitting toilets just so it's not so hard to get up from them in our old age when we have walkers and tennis balls on the legs.

Now a lot of our friends have switched and when we sit on a lower toilet it is quite a drop. Check them out.

I heard that newer homes are installing the higher Totos as standard now.

DS

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Just too much you-know-what coming out of that building
Changing toilets won't help that, I'm afraid :( .

suggest the high rise toilet
I've got a few years on you, and did the same thing for the same reason. Guest bath still has a standard-height, but not for long...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks