Wall Mounted Toilet Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe216

Reaction score
Hey Terry - need some help with re-mounting a wall mounted toilet. I’m remodeling a bathroom and removed the toilet. I don’t think it was installed correctly by the previous owner of the house.

Do the backing nuts (I have them marked with the red arrows) go behind the finished wall or just protruding out the front of the finished wall. Also, I there was not a backing washer either, so think I’ll need to add one. Any help with how to properly mount would be helpful.

Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated.

Joe

4EA15C33-EB9D-448C-9B94-B301BCDCE810.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The standard rough for that is for the drain and the lower bolts to be centered at 4.25" off the floor.
The backing nuts and washers can be right at the wall, or a little further out, like just the washer.

glenwall_instruction_1.jpg

For the American Standard Glenwall

spec_gerber_wall_hung.jpg

The Gerber Maxwell wall hung.

Both of these use a neoprene seal at the back. Before you finish installing your flooring, I would make sure the bowl fits.

Last edited:

Joe216

Reaction score
The standard rough for that is for the drain and the lower bolts to be centered at 4.25" off the floor.
The backing nuts and washers can be right at the wall, or a little further out, like just the washer.

Both of these use a neoprene seal at the back. Before you finish installing your flooring, I would make sure the bowl fits.

Terry

I checked and the lower bolts are 4.25” off the floor, so I should be ok there. The issue I am having is that the backer nuts (if let as is) would be behind the finished drywall (about 3/8” behind finished drywall). Should I just add nuts and washers to get everything past the finished wall? Need about 3/8” to get flush with wall.

AD2CD83F-93DB-4B88-86FA-483EFF48A9FA.jpeg
3F05AFA4-5D3E-452A-81C8-7181DB906DBC.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can stack washers if the nut and washer won't fit. It holds the bowl steadier with the backing.

index.php

This kit is nice if the bolts are too short.

Last edited:

Joe216

Reaction score
You can stack washers if the nut and washer won't fit. It holds the bowl steadier with the backing.

Thanks. I’ll just stack some washers to get it to the correct depth. Thanks so much for your help.

You mentioned something about a neoprene seal? This is an older American Standard (my guess is 60’s). There was nothing on there when I removed the toilet?

My plan was to use one of the foam rings (instead of wax). What is your experience with using those?

I also read you should only tighten 3 of the anchor nuts (and just hand tighten the 4th). Is that correct?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
zurn-neo-seal.jpg

It doesn't matter what came off, there needs to be a seal designed for wall outlet bowls.
Three nuts tight, the 4th finger tight. Be careful, the bowls can crack.

Last edited:

Joe216

Reaction score
zurn-neo-seal.jpg

It doesn't matter what came off, there needs to be a seal designed for wall outlet bowls.
Three nuts tight, the 4th finger tight. Be careful, the bowls can crack.

Thanks. I never would have thought about the neoprene seal. Is this used with the wax/foam gasket or instead of the wax/foam gasket?

The toilet was previously installed with a wax gasket

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Either the rubber seal, which is how most do it, or they also make a special reinforced wax ring that says on the box that it's for a wall mount installation. The standard wax seal isn't made for that.

Joe216

Reaction score
Either the rubber seal, which is how most do it, or they also make a special reinforced wax ring that says on the box that it's for a wall mount installation. The standard wax seal isn't made for that.
Terry

Again, thank you so much. One more quick question....the waste flange doesn’t stick out from the finished wall. Can the rubber seals be stacked?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Terry

Again, thank you so much. One more quick question....the waste flange doesn’t stick out from the finished wall. Can the rubber seals be stacked?

That may be why they used reinforced wax there. I have also seen thicker rubber seals. You have some work there.

Joe216

Reaction score
That may be why they used reinforced wax there. I have also seen thicker rubber seals. You have some work there.

I know....this whole bathroom remodel has been a PIA. So your saying that the rubber seals can’t be stacked?

Joe216

Reaction score
I've never stacked rubber seals before.

no-seep-wax-2.jpg
Terry...I’ve been working on this bathroom for sometime. I’m ready to reinstall the wall-mounted toilet. Note: I didn’t redo any of the plumbing, just redid the drywall around it.

The problem: The copper drain for the toilet is flush (or 1/8-1/16” below) the surface of the finished wall.

Not sure what to do here.

1. Do you know of a thick gasket that can be used in this application? I can only find 3/4” thick rubber/neoprene gaskets.

2. Can the rubber or wax gaskets be stacked for a wall mount toilet?

3. Is there an extension that I can use on the copper drain?

4. Anything I haven’t thought of? I included a picture to get an idea of what I have.

I am willing to try anything that doesn’t involve me Tearing everything up. Thanks again.

E42429A6-9FBE-415A-BE71-6EB593451238.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks