Vintage sink, loose seat

Users who are viewing this thread

FredericaMG

Reaction score
I came to this forum for the first time today, and learned of the founder's death. My condolences. It sounds like he was a wonderful man.

My problem today: I have a great 1952 half-bath in my house, with all the Standard / American Standard fixtures intact. I needed to change the faucet washers, and when I unscrewed the Cold side the whole seat came up with the stem.

Now I can't figure out a way to get it firmly back in place. To my surprise there isn't any threading at the base of the seat, and doesn't look like it ever did. It's just smooth. So when installed, it just turns around and around. Any suggestions?

20230411_114207.jpg
20230411_114337.jpg

close up.jpg
20230411_114228.jpg
20230411_114207.jpg20230411_114337.jpgclose up.jpg20230411_114228.jpg

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
First thing to do is reassemble the stem unit and make sure it is tight in the body. If it still spins you can first replace the brass washer part number 21625-07 (Dimension 0830 x .468. This dimension does not need to be exact) in the cap. If it continues add the original brass washer with the new one.

FredericaMG

Reaction score
I've learned that I'm using the wrong term: the part I can't fix in place is called the stem barrel. I can screw the stem into it with no problem, but when it's in place, the barrel keeps rotating around.

FredericaMG

Reaction score
I tried calling a few plumbers for this but didn't get reply calls. I guess the job is too small to be worth it.
I saw a video that says the problem is that the old washer was worn out and thin, and the stem pressed down closely on the barrel; the new washer is thicker and it doesn't press down as far as before. They advised to add another washer to the stem. But I could never get the handle off, so I tried just screwing down the housing more tightly. The handle points in the wrong direction but it is holding.

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Items 3-10 must be long enough to force the barrel into the valve body. That is what keeps the assembly from spinning. Until everthing is the proper length and the assembly is tightened into the faucet there is nothing keeping the barrel seat from turning.

Attachments

• Amstd_B702A.pdf
    46.3 KB · Views: 51

FredericaMG

Reaction score
OK, thanks for explaining that. I can visualize it. I am still stumped because I can't add washers to the stem if I can't get the handle off. I keep hoping I can hire a plumber for this. But I really do appreciate the help.

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The handle you have normally comes off fairly easy with a handle puller. The stems spline is tapered so once it moves it will come right off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks