Shower leak

Users who are viewing this thread

JordanA

Reaction score
Thank you in advance

Earlier this week I found a wet spot on my ceiling. I measured and determined the shower drain was right above that spot. I went up to the drain and cleared a large hair clog. I did create a half dollar size hole in the ceiling since it was already wet

I’ve been keeping an eye on the downstairs even putting my finger in the hole when the shower is on. So far so good

My wife showered today at about 7:10 and I hopped on around 7:40. I came downstairs and could see water on the floor below the hole

I am thinking I have a clog that when enough water builds up, it reaches where the flange connects with the water pan and overflows.

I am trying to snake at the moment but can’t get the snake past the trap.

My next step might be to replace the drain?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jordan

4B5919E6-62CF-46BC-9023-B86A1DF2B985.jpeg
image.jpg

JordanA

Reaction score
I am pretty confident the leak is occurring at the shower drain and not further down the pipe.

My thought is that there is a clog and it backs up to the point of the drain although water never backs into the shower.

Replace the drain flange?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I can't see the drain well enough to know why it's leaking. Is there a rubber seal around the pipe where it comes up through the drain?
Is the drain a part of the pan? Or is it held on with a large nut from the bottom? Sometimes with those, putty will loosen, and my fix is to replace the drain using Silicone instead of putty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks