Vibrating Water Feed Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Frank L

Reaction score
My pipes vibrate when my submersible well pump engages. The feed pipe from the well to the pressure tank vibrates as well as the copper pipes entering / exiting the pressure tank. The pump engages at 40 PSI and shuts off at 60 PSI. The vibration starts when the pump engages and ends prior to reaching 60 psi and prior to the pump shutting off. The pipe from the pressure tank rises to the basement ceiling joists and thus the vibration is heard and felt on the first floor. No issues with pressure and water at any supply. System working fine except for the vibration. The Red Jacket well pump was installed about 8 years ago.

Any ideas at what the cause?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the vibration just started, the pump is probably worn out and vibrating. If it has always done this, you can isolate the vibration by adding a piece of flexible pipe or rubber hose between the well pipe and the house pipe.

Frank L

Reaction score
If the vibration just started, the pump is probably worn out and vibrating. If it has always done this, you can isolate the vibration by adding a piece of flexible pipe or rubber hose between the well pipe and the house pipe.

Thanks Valveman, The vibration did just start after working fine for 8 years since the pump was installed. Can I wait to replace the pump or do I need to do so immediately.. what's the risk? Although the pipes vibrate when the pump engages, the system is working without issue..

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
What happens is the pump wears out and starts vibrating. Then the vibration from the pump knocks the bearing out of the top of the motor. That is when it will completely quit on you. But there is no repairing a submersible pump, so just use it until it quits. Just be ready to replace it on Christmas day or any Sunday, as that is when Murphy always makes pumps quit on you.

Frank L

Reaction score
Low and behold, it stopped vibrating on it's own. Wonder if there was something stuck in the impeller and it worked itself free??

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If it does it occasionally I would replace the control box. A start relay stuck in the start position can cause vibration. It will usually trip the overload, but not always.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks