Very Stupid Beginner Questions on Jet Pump setup and issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Cavedan

Reaction score
So I set up my jet pump (Goulds 1.5 HP Irrigator) and all was well for a day or two, but then I noticed that the pump was on with no faucets opens and having trouble building enough pressure (actually it looked like it had been slowly losing pressure (hovering around 20 PSI)) to reach the 40 PSI cut-off. The pump must have been on for a while since it was hot to the touch and some of the metal piping was warm. This was a problem I was having with an old pump that the new one had replaced. I turned the pump off, then on, and sure enough the pressure returned to normal.

By my research, it looks like I have a leak somewhere in the line between my intake and the pump, which is causing me to lose prime at the pump. Does that sound like an accurate diagnosis? If so, what's the best way to find the leak? I'm assuming it's probably just at pump where the 1.5" poly pipe joins at a screw in brass fitting. But I suppose there could be a small hole somewhere along the poly pipe, which would explain why this problem seemed to be also occurring with the last pump.

This brings me to my beginners mess up. I overtightened all the 1.5" stainless pipes between the pump and the pressure tank, and about half of them are leaking. I used tape that was rated for stainless, but in my neurosis to make sure that I would have no leaks, I used wrenches to get the pipes as snug as possible. It seems, I made an error here. Do I go back and take everything apart and retighten properly? Is the pipe threading damaged due to my overtightening, and now I have to buy all new piping? Ugh. I'm such an amateur. Are any of the visible leaks between the pump and the pressure tank, potentially an issue I'm having with the pump losing prime?

Thanks for any help anyone out there can provide.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes you most likely have a leak in the suction pipe. Leaks in the discharge side of the pump will cause the pump to cycle on and off, but will not cause a loss of prime. A small leak on the suction side will cause a loss of prime.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks