Venting in Basement Rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

pcantin

Reaction score
Hi there.

I am new to this forum and would like to ask a few questions about my mother's 5 year old home in Ontario. She has a roughed in bathroom in her basement, and I am unsure if I need to add extra venting. Here is what she has in her basement:

Since the slab has been poured, should I assume that the toilet and the shower are already vented?

Also, can I run a drain horizontally from the sink in my image to that lav drain? Is that vent close enough?

Thank you kindly for your help on this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would guess that the pipe at the tub is the vent, which will need to be tied back in.
You will need to cut concrete to find the drain there.

The lav can go 42" from the toilet vent before you need to add. Longer than 42" and you should install a vent that is closer.
The tub should be vented within five feet. That's why I think the pipe sticking up is the vent. It looks a bit far to be vented across the room.

pcantin

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The pipe at the tub has a p trap (at least I am pretty sure it does). I poured some water down it and it doesn't all drain away. it retains a water level that suggests a p trap is installed.

If that tub pipe does indeed have a p trap is it possible that it vents to that lav stack? It is 2" pipe.

Thanks again for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks