Valve for knob lever compatible with rotating handle?

Users who are viewing this thread

doctord75

Reaction score
Hello,

We bought a home two years ago and went out and bought various faucets. We bought a shower tub set, the Price Pfister 808-DC. Well, here we are two years later and I'm just getting around to trying to install it.. :eek:

Our current water control is an unknown brand as I can't see any name. But it has a knob that you angle upward and it turns on the water. The higher you lift it the more pressure. Turning it right or left makes it colder or hotter. The new 808-DC unit is just a handle that you rotate to one side to turn off and in the other direction to turn on, and I'm assuming the further you go the hotter it gets.

The 808-DC comes with a valve body, but I'm not that plumbing inclined to do all the pipe cutting/sweating to swap the valves. Does anyone know if I can put the 808-DC's handle on the existing valve? I'm assuming the cartridge in the current unit should be removable but I don't know how compatible they are. It seems that other than the lever action of the current knob, the left/right is the same.

Otherwise I might just hire a plumber, but that would probably be next year when we have some extra cash.. Right now the tub faucet is leaking ever so slowly, so the project got bumped up to now vs later.. :D If a plumber is required then I'll probably replace the cartridge now to at least stop the leaking.

Thanks,
Dave

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Common DIY misconception.

There is ZERO compatibilty between ANY parts from different MODELS of shower valves, and EVEN LESS for between different brands.

You old one sounds like a Delta 600 series. To upgrade, you will need access inside the wall, either from the front, or from the backside of the wall.

doctord75

Reaction score
Thanks Jimbo... I was afraid of that.

Looks like I'll go with a temporary fix for now, then get it replaced next year.

Dave

Kognyto

Reaction score
Why no standards?

Common DIY misconception.

There is ZERO compatibilty between ANY parts from different MODELS of shower valves, and EVEN LESS for between different brands.

You old one sounds like a Delta 600 series. To upgrade, you will need access inside the wall, either from the front, or from the backside of the wall.

That is absolutely rediculous. I am in the exact same situation, and it infuriates me that there is no standard valve body size. Who wants to rip out their wall just to replace the valve trim/handle? :mad:

This seems to me like a scam to keep the plumbers in business. I plan on talking to my representatives to push for legislation to regulate and STANDARDIZE this BS.

There is no reason why fixture manufacturers can't all get on the same page. (Well, there is one: greed.)

:mad::mad::mad:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
This seems to me like a scam to keep the plumbers in business.

I would say it is a scam to keep the R&D department at the manufactuer in jobs.

The worst is American Standard & Kohler they create new and discontinue faucets every week and the new one always have parts that no longer work in the old faucets.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
that's almost like saying every car manufacturer has to use the same brakes from a small light two seater to a 15-passenger van, or the same wheel must fit all cars. Wouldn't it be handy if that new set of wheels and tires would fit on your next car so you didn't have to buy new ones. Pipe sizes are standard (in the USA), but go to Europe, and try to get our imperial stuff to fit on metric (which is most of the rest of the world), and see what happens. You're barking up the wrong tree.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valves

That is absolutely rediculous. I am in the exact same situation, and it infuriates me that there is no standard valve body size. Who wants to rip out their wall just to replace the valve trim/handle? :mad:

This seems to me like a scam to keep the plumbers in business. I plan on talking to my representatives to push for legislation to regulate and STANDARDIZE this BS.

There is no reason why fixture manufacturers can't all get on the same page.
There is one very good reason, it is called a patent. Also ingenuity, because each manufacturer has his own way to accomplish a task, and they do not necessarily agree that the other guy's method is better, or even as good. If they got together and agreed on a single item, the government would come down on them for being a monopoly and restrait of trade because they would be limiting the choices a homeowner has, and forcing them to buy a single product. AT&T had a good thing going years ago when ALL the phones were the same, and we know how the government "improved" that situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score

There is no reason why fixture manufacturers can't all get on the same page. (Well, there is one: greed.)

:mad::mad::mad:

I don't know what planet you are from. Do you think you can put Ford parts on your Chevy? It is called capitalism.....meaning each manufacturer constantly strives for innovation in function and design. And a factory always strives for innovative ways to reduce cost so that the OWNERS of the factory ( that would be you and me...the stockholders) can have more profit, the workers can have better wages, and the consumers ( you and me , again!) can have a better product at a lower price. Let's not complicate the discussion by how china works into this equation!

Now, Teddy Kennedy and Osama bin Barrack will probaly take up your cause, so by all means, let them know your concerns!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I want to put a Toyota Camry motor in my GMC Van...
The Toyota motor in my wife's Camry has 240K miles on it while I had to replace the motor in my van at 150K. The camry gets better gas milege too, I want some of that...

Can you get that tacked onto the law too...

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
compatibility

To carry your rant to the extreme, all we really need is one company making faucets, another making automobiles, a third making refrigerators, etc. Then there would NEVER be any problem finding the correct parts, although, since they were the only ones making them, (such as Apple computers), they could charge whatever they wanted for them so you might not be able to afford them.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
To carry your rant to the extreme, all we really need is one company making faucets, another making automobiles, a third making refrigerators, etc. Then there would NEVER be any problem finding the correct parts, although, since they were the only ones making them, (such as Apple computers), they could charge whatever they wanted for them so you might not be able to afford them.

My wife grew up in Eastern Europe, 40's through mid 70's. She was a medical professional, an as such had some income, enough to be "eligible" to own a car. No problem. One brand available....Skoda, from Poland or E. Germany or somewhere. Body was a type of cardboard. You want a car...no problem. Waiting list....5 years. Oh by the way, we need the money up front NOW! So that's how she eventually did have a car. Needless to say, when the opportunity arose to get out of Dodge, well here she is!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks