Upstairs Laundry Room Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeCT

Reaction score
I am building out an upstairs laundry room and connecting into the plumbing from what was the first floor laundry room which is directly below. I will be draining into 2 inch pipe. The 1 1/2 inch vent comes from the first floor plumbing and goes out the roof. Is either of these options better than the other? I'm unsure about venting and whether one is preferable. I am in Connecticut, USA. Thanks in advance!
plumbing.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Neither of those layouts work, the vent for the standpipe trap arm has to come off at an elevation no more than 1 pipe diameter below the trap outlet. No turning the drain downward before the vent comes off.

Another problem you have is that the IPC, which CT is under I believe, requires that when the laundry standpipe connects to another fixture drain, the combined drain has to be 3". So with a separate sink and trap, the 3" has to start at that connection, you won't be able to reuse your existing 2" drain.

If your sink is a laundry sink, there is an allowance in the IPC for a standpipe and a laundry sink to share a single trap. That would eliminate the need for an immediate 3" drain. If you check some of the other laundry sink threads, the details are there.

Cheers, Wayne

MikeCT

Reaction score
Thanks, Wayne. That was very helpful. If I understand correctly, I can drain the laundry sink into the washer drain before the trap and I need to vent more inline with the trap. If that's the case, what are your thoughts on this configuration?
PXL_20210117_014430555.NIGHT.jpg

Neither of those layouts work, the vent for the standpipe trap arm has to come off at an elevation no more than 1 pipe diameter below the trap outlet. No turning the drain downward before the vent comes off.

Another problem you have is that the IPC, which CT is under I believe, requires that when the laundry standpipe connects to another fixture drain, the combined drain has to be 3". So with a separate sink and trap, the 3" has to start at that connection, you won't be able to reuse your existing 2" drain.

If your sink is a laundry sink, there is an allowance in the IPC for a standpipe and a laundry sink to share a single trap. That would eliminate the need for an immediate 3" drain. If you check some of the other laundry sink threads, the details are there.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks