Uponor manifolds

Users who are viewing this thread

Dan Westerfield

Reaction score
i am replumbing my entire home, and going with aqua PEX and Uponor fittings. I just priced the 12 port copper manifolds, and WOW! Why would the Uponor outlet manifolds be more than $200 MORE than the crimp style? Everything is the exact same except the Uponor adapter on the valves.

Djarchow

Reaction score
I am not a plumber but am finishing my basement and didn't have access to Uponor locally. I could get the Sioux Chief Pex-A manifolds locally. For the 6 port versions I needed, I found I could get the valved Sioux Chief versions for about half the price of the Uponor. Quality looks about the same as the Uponor manifolds the plumbers put in when we built the house. I can't compare the quality of the brass valves on the Sioux Chief as our Uponor manifolds don't have them.

Dan Westerfield

Reaction score
I am not a plumber but am finishing my basement and didn't have access to Uponor locally. I could get the Sioux Chief Pex-A manifolds locally. For the 6 port versions I needed, I found I could get the valved Sioux Chief versions for about half the price of the Uponor. Quality looks about the same as the Uponor manifolds the plumbers put in when we built the house. I can't compare the quality of the brass valves on the Sioux Chief as our Uponor manifolds don't have them.
They look to me to be the exact same product, only mildly different nipples on the valves for the Uponor system. I just can’t pay an additional $200 per manifold. So I will likely get the crimp style and crimp the connections to the manifold.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
i am replumbing my entire home, and going with aqua PEX and Uponor fittings. I just priced the 12 port copper manifolds, and WOW! Why would the Uponor outlet manifolds be more than $200 MORE than the crimp style? Everything is the exact same except the Uponor adapter on the valves.

I DESPISE MANIFOLDS. I do all of my repipes by running a gutline (both hot and cold) the full length of the house. I extend my 3/4" (or 1") gutline to the end of the run. So if the end of the run is a bathroom. I'll take that 3/4" all the way to the tub. The last fitting I use on the end is a 3/4 x 1/2 x 1/2 tee. I cut everything else in full-size using 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/2 tees.

yes, I oversize the system on purpose. On some repipes, we'll make a giant loop with 3/4" red pex and 3/4" blue pex. What I'm trying to avoid is you in the shower, then your wife flushes the toilet. Or you in the shower, and then your wife decides to run a load of laundry. MORE IS BETTER. Remember, the plumbing code is THE MINIMUM STANDARD. Don't know about you, but minimum standard isn't good enough for me.

WorldPeace

Reaction score
Michael,

I know this is a very old post but I just noticed it. Do you have the same opinion today?

Doesn't running 3/4'' to multiple fixtures have the opposite consequence? Even at 1/2'', if multiple fixtures go off at once, won't you notice water pressure loss? The water system can only hold so much pressure, no?

I know that you're worried about loss in water pressure when multiple fixtures are used together but 1/2'' would actually be the optimal size. And, even 3/8'' for small sinks. For example, 1/2'' already is big enough to supply 10 faucets running at once. So, doesn't the code here already consider the likelihood of multiple fixtures going at the same time?

You also have the benefit of reducing hot-water consumption as well as the time that the hot water gets to the tap, no?

By the way, I'm sorta' new to this so just learning right now. I'm curious to know what the optimal pipe setup is.

I DESPISE MANIFOLDS. I do all of my repipes by running a gutline (both hot and cold) the full length of the house. I extend my 3/4" (or 1") gutline to the end of the run. So if the end of the run is a bathroom. I'll take that 3/4" all the way to the tub. The last fitting I use on the end is a 3/4 x 1/2 x 1/2 tee. I cut everything else in full-size using 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/2 tees.

yes, I oversize the system on purpose. On some repipes, we'll make a giant loop with 3/4" red pex and 3/4" blue pex. What I'm trying to avoid is you in the shower, then your wife flushes the toilet. Or you in the shower, and then your wife decides to run a load of laundry. MORE IS BETTER. Remember, the plumbing code is THE MINIMUM STANDARD. Don't know about you, but minimum standard isn't good enough for me.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
water-sizing-chart-terrylove-40-60.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks