Sioux Chief vs. Uponor

Users who are viewing this thread

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've been installing SC outlet boxes for years that have the expansion PEX connectors. SC is a solid manufacturer.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Sioux Chief is a solid and long trusted mfr.
I'm Uponor certified card holder but wouldn't hesitate to use S.C.
I rarely do large manifolds for home runs and prefer trunk and branch out of habit, and because we only install recirculating hot with fully circular loop.

Nebojsa

Reaction score
I could be wrong ,i think that Sioux Chief has a license agreement with Uponor just like Heatlink has with Uponor in Canada

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Both are standards of quality to me. I don't work much with PEX but I would trust either to good.

Clutchcargo

Reaction score
Thanks All,
Got the SC

Now that I'm looking for it, I'm finding suspiciously similar looking products spread through different brands with the premium brands charging hundreds more.

Slomoola

Reaction score
Found several internet articles/forums/Youtubes about Uponor leaks and floods. Law suites against them and such. I pulled all the Uponor PEX B out of my house for Sioux Chief PEX A and copper manifolds. Couldn't find any bad words on Sioux Chief.

Slomoola

Reaction score
Uponor makes pex B?
Just browsed Uponor's website. No mention of PEX B. Nothing but PEX A using my poor reading skills LOL.

Guess my plumber used their PEX A with copper ring PEX B compression clamps. I had shiny copper clamping rings all over the place prior to ripping all that mess out. Thanks for catching this. Can add it to my list of why I tore all my Uponor PEX A out. Suspect pipe and incorrect compression clamp fittings.

That and the fact they would splice into a pipe with a plastic 90 (roll eyes) to feed another line. So I had a nice fat mess of pipe and fittings behind my hot water tank. All that prior to running in the attic. Had like 5 pipes of chaos going on.

Last edited:

GReynolds929

Reaction score
PEX A can be crimped or expanded. It is most beneficial to use expansion. Composite fittings are just fine. We use them everyday with. No issues.

You tore out pex A and replaced it with PEX A? Sounds like a waste of time and money to me.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just browsed Uponor's website. No mention of PEX B. Nothing but PEX A using my poor reading skills LOL.

Guess my plumber used their PEX A with copper ring PEX B compression clamps. I had shiny copper clamping rings all over the place prior to ripping all that mess out. Thanks for catching this. Can add it to my list of why I tore all my Uponor PEX A out. Suspect pipe and incorrect compression clamp fittings.

That and the fact they would splice into a pipe with a plastic 90 (roll eyes) to feed another line. So I had a nice fat mess of pipe and fittings behind my hot water tank. All that prior to running in the attic. Had like 5 pipes of chaos going on.
Pex A or Pex B makes no differance if its crappy work re do it. Did you actually have a problem with the material used besides the workmanship?

Slomoola

Reaction score
Pex A or Pex B makes no differance if its crappy work re do it. Did you actually have a problem with the material used besides the workmanship?
I had zero leaks or issues with Uponor A pipe and B copper compression rings. Don't think this recipe was recommended.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks