Tub overflow stopper fell down pipe. Options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pman6

Reaction score
Are there any special tools plumbers can use to extract the stopper?

The water is completely blocked. Tried a wire coat hanger, and could not fish it out. The wire bottomed out, the wire length seemed to reach the p-trap. so I'm concerned the stopper is further down, hopefully not through the p-trap.

Running a small amount of water, the drain quickly gets backed up, so hopefully it's in the straight part.

I called 2 plumbers. One guy said he could use a camera and see down the pipe and maybe fish it out. Sounded reasonable.

The other plumber was suggesting something more invasive- digging in the dirt and cutting out the p-trap, and changing the cast iron to ABS. That doesn't sound right.
I just want the plug fished out, not a whole replumb.

Here's the access panel next to the tub showing the overflow and drain.

9SSrPRq.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
This might work for you. It saved me a few times and you may find this at your Home Depot. Of you cannot reach to stopper, though these are 24" long, you remove the one or two screws at the overflow on the tub side, if possible with a wrench undo the the first fitting below it. It does look tight but it is all brass and usually there is no corrosion. If you can loosen it, you just lift the overflow off. The stopper is most likely in the same location when used, right at the tee for the tub drain.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-...l-tools/24-inch-2-in-1-pickup-tool-94162.html

image_14844.jpg
image_14986.jpg

Pman6

Reaction score
IMG_20190830_103007.jpg

this house was built in 1966.

Does that bottom corroded part look like a p trap? Anyone know?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
pp19010.gif

The stopper can't fall further than the tee. That's it's final resting place. The stopper has a bar across the top and I have fished them out with wire before.
Or the tub drain you have is installed with slip joint nuts and washers. It's possible to install a new drain there too.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF those plumbers think the plug is in the P-trap, then they are either NOT plumbers or trying to "gouge" you because it CANNOT drop farther than the tee, which is why the water does not drain. IF it could drop further the the water would flow through it and you would not have a problem.

Pman6

Reaction score
I was the one who thought it might have fallen past the tee.

I disassembled the whole drain overflow today, and there is no stopper.

I remember I removed it a couple years ago because tenants' hair was getting clogged in it.

So, whatever is clogging the drain must be a hair ball or something.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks