Trying to figure out the function of my main water valve...

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by fizzle7, Jun 29, 2020.

1. fizzle7

fizzle7 New Member

Hi all,

First post on this forum, I had a question regarding my home water valve. I assume the red lever controls the water from the mains to the house. But the two blue levers I am confused by. I don't want to just start turning things without understanding the impact, so I was hoping someone might know.

I have an underground sprinkler system so I assume the two blue levers are part of a double check backflow system.

The question however is why does it appear one valve is open and one is closed? Meaning, the levers are in two different positions. Is this typical of such a system? Or does it mean my sprinkler water supply is shut off? etc.

As a side note, my sprinkler system does not currently operate and I have wondered if it's simply due to the valve being closed.

Thanks for the help and please ignore the spider webs!

main.jpg

2. fitter30

fitter30 Active Member

Retired service tech
    Valve on the left is off right is on

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I suspect there may have been such a device there in the past, and somebody eliminated that.

5. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
  6. fitter30

fitter30 Active Member

Retired service tech
    Irrigation systems should have a backflow device that is approved by either the state or city. Thease devices keep your water supply and in case of city water your neighbors water safe from ground water entering the water supply when something happens to the supply.