Trap primer. What is this part ?

Users who are viewing this thread

piped

Reaction score
Bought a new house and this was next to the vintage alpine green toilet..

Does anybody know what this for ? My handyman opened the valve a little and water started to come out the holes.

Thanks!

IMG_20190117_140853062.jpg

piped

Reaction score
thanks for your quick response!

yes, there is a floor drain about 4 feet away. What purpose is the valve above the trap primer. I believe that it's currently closed and if so, then the trap primer would do nothing right now ?

Also, what is the purpose of the small holes at the base of the trap primer ? I'm assuming that any water you'd want to go to the trap, and not outside of the trap primer??

Thanks alot for you help!

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
The holes are to prevent contamination of the water supply system in case the waste (drain) pipes back up. Every connection
between the water supply and drains requires such an "air gap". The valve is to allow for service of the unit if required.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
weMuskB.png

This looks to be similar taken from a previous post here. If your trap primer is leaking then the pipe going down to the trap may not be clear, or perhaps the holes that allow the air break need some work. That doesn't sound right...........maybe the primer itself?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks