TOTO WASHLET G400 - Considering reviews or alternatives requested

Users who are viewing this thread

Beermati

Reaction score
That sums it up - I am doing a bathroom remodel and after many trips to Japan over the last few years, I would like to add a nice electric bidet with the bells and whistles!

If you have positive or negative experiences, with the Washlet G400, it would be very helpful and appreciated! I have read some criticism that the wand is too short, or more often, complaints that the solid waste doesn't rinse off of the ceramic very well.

Or, if you have a different integrated unit that you recommend, please let me know.

We are moving pretty fast on our project (the contractor has some time during the Xmas break), so any replies will be appreciated!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/toto-g400-toilet-reviews-pictures-ms920cemfg.71710/

g400-install-10.jpg

Beermati

Reaction score
Terry - thanks, I had read your post, which was very informative! Particularly since my water fill is about 6 1/2 - 7" left of center, also. Do you have comments on the functionality, or any issues, such as with waste not washing of the sides?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Be absolutely certain that the plumber is up to the task of installing the rough in 100% correctly and that they're comfortable with the installation. We just had to fix a bungled install recently where they lost a bunch of parts. Theres nothing incredibly difficult about the install, it just needs to be "by the book" to make it go smoothly. Use the provided shut off valve only. No angle stops.

From the spec sheet: Warning: If there is a base board in the restroom, the center of the floor drain(closet flange) should be a minimum of 12” from the base board.

Beermati

Reaction score
Thank you Tuttles, that's helpful. My contractor has done several installs of Neorest, but I will mention this to him.

Beermati

Reaction score
Hopefully, but it never hurts to make sure!

If you have feedback on the functionality of the G400, it would be very helpful. It's not easy to find valid information.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We have an older 600 unit in our office.. its been installed for 10-12yrs I think.. it predates me.. It does need to have a lid motor replaced.. maybe I'll get around to that next year.. But not bad for a unit installed in a commercial setting.

ss3964spd

Reaction score
Recently installed a Toto C200 as part of a complete master bath remodel. It is perched atop a Toto Aquia 1.6/0.8 wall mounted bowl hung on a Geberit carrier (the plumbing connection between the two what a headache for a noob like me).

I don't know what the feature differences are between the G400 you're considering and the C200. I do know the C200 has an in-line water heater which makes the physical dimensions of the whole unit smaller, sleeker. Heated seat (soft close but not motorized), heated air dryer (if you have the time to wait), various spray patterns, adjustable pressure and temp, memory for two different set ups, wall mounted remote (I didn't care for the seat side mounted set ups). Also has the bowl pre-wash down.

Everyone's bum is different, but the C200 works well for us. I sometimes shift forward a bit to ensure...thoroughness but that's about it. Spouse has no issue with it. The bowl wash down does seem to work quite effectively but, again, different people present different....challenges.

It makes noises that I don't understand. For instance, after any usage, even after just sitting on it, it emits 3 short "hums", each spaced...I dunno, maybe 20 seconds apart. Then they stop, but the unit isn't finished yet because there remains a very, very quite but persistent hum, almost sounds like a very low speed cooling fan. Though I've not timed it, it does carry on for probably over 30 minutes. The good news is unless you're listening for it you're not likely to notice it, and you definitely won't if you're in an adjacent room.

Why, whyyyyy Toto doesn't make these things with field replaceable power cords is a mystery. My unit came with a 3.5-4' long cord. If you're doing a extensive remodel, or a new build, and put an outlet close by, you're then left with a bundle of cord. I ended up cutting/splicing/soldering/and white heat shrinking mine.

Beermati

Reaction score
ss3964 - thanks for that, I appreciate the comments.

I'm not experienced enough with the products to know how a top-unit paired with a different bowl functions vs the integrated unit like the G400.

The impression I has was that the pre-mist helps, but some people have had issues with the G400 water pattern of the flush cleaning sufficiently. As you mention, it's likely fine for most people, but there may be some that have problems with it.

Beermati

Reaction score
As I wrote that last reply, I was thinking that even with any toilet, there are times when you use it and you may have residual waste in the bowl.

My concern is buying a $2000 toilet and having to clean it every time, which I have read some people have to do. As with everything "internet", it's usually those with negative experiences who post, so I was hoping to get some positive views to boost confidence in the purchase. ;)

ss3964spd

Reaction score
As I read through the details of the G400 I'd not be as concerned about cleaning it as I would about it failing.

It's still basically a separate washlet mounted to a specially designed bowl, except that the washlet does double duty as a water holding tank and flush valve.

My C200 is already pretty complex I think, and I have no idea what the longevity of these units is. Add in the mechanism for the automatic seat, water holding tank, a probably electronic flush valve, etc - all in one unit sitting on a proprietary bowl....all that would make me nervous, especially at 2K. Indeed, I didn't opt for the next model up out of concern for the life of the auto-seat (and because I just don't need to auto-seat). But I do wonder if that thing will open if you get to close to it but don't need to actually use it, which will result in unnecessary cycles and thus reduced life span. Or, if it's designed to not do that, then you might have to stand in front of it for a few seconds to convince it you need to go. I'd really want to test all that works in real life.

Should the c200, or any other "add on" washlet fail one could simply remove it, drop a regular old seat on in its place, and be back in business.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

ss3964spd

Reaction score
Happy to offer some thoughts, beermati, I do have a tendency to analyze. ;)

Let us know what you end up with and why, and how it's working.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks