Toto TSPTM bonnet removal

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Shark, Jun 10, 2021 at 11:12 PM.

1. Shark

Shark New Member

Hello all,

This forum is invaluable. Thanks for all the advice from everyone. I have a question about replacing the cartridge in my shower. I open up the trim and this is what I get. Instructions say to unscrew the bonnet to get at the cartridge but is there a special tool to get it out? I asked Toto and they told me to use a large crescent wrench. This bonnet is about two inches in diameter. I tried channel locks but it would not grip it properly (the bonnet is fairly thin) and it wouldn’t budge. Any ideas before I go hunt for a really large crescent wrench that I’m unlikely to use again?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2021 at 10:30 AM
  2. Tughillrzr

Tughillrzr In the Trades

Large crescent or hex pipe wrench.

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing.

[​IMG]

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-1-8-in-to-2-5-8-in-E-110-Hex-Wrench-31305/100151329

with spray lubricant.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2021 at 8:34 AM
    Tuttles Revenge likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Tuttles Revenge likes this.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
  5. Shark

Shark New Member

6. Shark

Shark New Member

Thank you, Terry. I see the bonnet and the instructions. I wasn’t able to unscrew the bonnet and the instructions don’t give further detail than “unscrew.” Hope the screw suggested above works.

7. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

A very large socket with a breaker bar might be better. You might not be able to get that spud wrench close enough to the correct plane as the bonnet.

Also, place a LOT of protective padding on the floor in case you drop any heavy tool. It will crack tiles if it falls.

8. Shark

Shark New Member

You hit the nail on the head. The wrench did not help because the bonnet sits almost flush with the tile. The wrench just can’t grip the bonnet. I guess it’s still good to have the wrench as a tool. Any suggestions on a good breaker bar? Thank you.

9. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

Since I rely on my tools to work day in and day out and never fail, I only buy US made sockets/wrenches etc. My go to has always been Craftsman. But I'm no longer certain where they're made. When I see old tools at garage or estate sales, I buy them. But in your case since you're not taking a 400ft pound nut off a transaxle, a big box store brand would do the trick and be backed by a warranty.

I would buy a 1/2 drive breaker, a 2" extension and the appropriate sized socket.

Of course, be careful that the whole valve doesn't twist and rip the copper apart