Help Please!! Delta Diamond Seal Bonnet Stuck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Russell Lawyer

Reaction score
I am attempting to replace the Diamond Seal cartridge in my Delta kitchen sink faucet, but I cannot loosen the bonnet nut from the plastic base (see pic) no matter what I try. I feel as though I am missing something obvious here. I have been grabbing the base with channel locks and trying to unloosen the nut with adjustable wrench. Won't budge at all. Any suggestions would be helpful.

File Aug 07, 2 48 05 PM.jpeg

Russell Lawyer

Reaction score
bigger wrenches.
Is the bonnet nut threaded onto the plastic base itself, or is the plastic covering a metal male thread of some sort? I'm a little leery of breaking that plastic base with too much force, I guess.

I have a new bonnet nut as well as a cartridge, but Delta does not sell a replacement base as a part. If I damage that I will have to replace the entire faucet $$$$. 250-300

JoeKludge

Reaction score
I am attempting to replace the Diamond Seal cartridge in my Delta kitchen sink faucet, but I cannot loosen the bonnet nut from the plastic base (see pic) no matter what I try. I feel as though I am missing something obvious here. I have been grabbing the base with channel locks and trying to unloosen the nut with adjustable wrench. Won't budge at all. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Same faucet, same exact problem. Delta sent me a new bonnet and cartridge, told me to cut out the stuck bonnet, being "careful not to damage the other parts of the faucet." Good luck with that! You would have to somehow get the cartridge, which is held in by the (stuck) bonnet out of the way, then saw through the side of the 3-inch long bonnet sleeve, without damaging the female threads at the base of the faucet. I doubt anyone has ever successfully performed that surgery.

So I tried the 15-inch crescent wrench. No dice--the whole faucet turned, including the cartridge, and further torque would have busted the whole faucet. I WD-40'd, liquid wrenched, and vinegar-watered the heck out of it for a week. I tapped it with a hammer, and threatened it with a propane torch, but it just would not budge. At this point, the sensible course of action would have been to trash the crummy faucet and replace it with a new one. But it had become a battle of wills, and I was determined to get that s.o.b. off of there, whatever it took. So I got myself a 1-5/16 inch deep impact socket--money being no object at this stage--6 point, 1/2-inch drive, to fit the top of the bonnet, connected to the air-impact wrench with 130 psi in the compressor tank, liquid-wrenched it a final time, and then blasted away--first CW, then CCW--repeating for half an hour on and off, until the s.o.b. finally broke loose. That thing was on there tighter than any car or truck axle nut I have ever encountered!

The faucet looks and works good, and I appreciate Delta standing behind their warranty with the free replacement parts. But I can't help wondering: what is the point of a replaceable faucet cartridge if you can't remove it due to a stuck bonnet nut? It's a deal breaker. Can anyone recommend to me a different faucet that doesn't require busting loose a frozen bonnet nut to access the replaceable part?

DeltaBonnetNut.JPG

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Same faucet, same exact problem. Delta sent me a new bonnet and cartridge, told me to cut out the stuck bonnet, being "careful not to damage the other parts of the faucet." Good luck with that! You would have to somehow get the cartridge, which is held in by the (stuck) bonnet out of the way, then saw through the side of the 3-inch long bonnet sleeve, without damaging the female threads at the base of the faucet. I doubt anyone has ever successfully performed that surgery.

So I tried the 15-inch crescent wrench. No dice--the whole faucet turned, including the cartridge, and further torque would have busted the whole faucet. I WD-40'd, liquid wrenched, and vinegar-watered the heck out of it for a week. I tapped it with a hammer, and threatened it with a propane torch, but it just would not budge. At this point, the sensible course of action would have been to trash the crummy faucet and replace it with a new one. But it had become a battle of wills, and I was determined to get that s.o.b. off of there, whatever it took. So I got myself a 1-5/16 inch deep impact socket--money being no object at this stage--6 point, 1/2-inch drive, to fit the top of the bonnet, connected to the air-impact wrench with 130 psi in the compressor tank, liquid-wrenched it a final time, and then blasted away--first CW, then CCW--repeating for half an hour on and off, until the s.o.b. finally broke loose. That thing was on there tighter than any car or truck axle nut I have ever encountered!

The faucet looks and works good, and I appreciate Delta standing behind their warranty with the free replacement parts. But I can't help wondering: what is the point of a replaceable faucet cartridge if you can't remove it due to a stuck bonnet nut? It's a deal breaker. Can anyone recommend to me a different faucet that doesn't require busting loose a frozen bonnet nut to access the replaceable part?

View attachment 72891

This topic came up few months ago not the difficulty but the quality of Delta and the diamond seal technology. several guys applauded delta . I am on my 3rd or 4th cartridge I'm supposed to be happy about the "free " parts ok a part of me is happy about that. but we had all replaced the cartridge mine might be 5 or 6 years old. truth is they aint that good they are annoying and we all know you have to turn it off a certain way put it exact center and maybe it won't drip if the cartridge is good. but even if its good you might have to fuss with it. I kinda like the faucet can't give a good reason why I like it and don't want to go buy another. I just work with a lot of Delta I guess. but the overly tight bonnet hasn't happened to me

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
I remember when the Delta DST faucets first came out. We took one apart at our retail plumbing store and decided DST stood for "Don't Sell This".

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
didn't really know the DST been out so long . just googled it around 08 it came out. they must have made 100 million and gotta sell them all before coming out with an improved version

kimnach

Reaction score
........So I got myself a 1-5/16 inch deep impact socket--money being no object at this stage--6 point, 1/2-inch drive, to fit the top of the bonnet, connected to the air-impact wrench with 130 psi in the compressor tank, liquid-wrenched it a final time, and then blasted away--first CW, then CCW--repeating for half an hour on and off, until the s.o.b. finally broke loose. That thing was on there tighter than any car or truck axle nut I have ever encountered!

I admire your persistence! Our single stem delta kitchen faucet would not rotate so I decided to take it out and clean and check why is binding. In the interim I also decided that I may as well change the 7+ year old cartridge. The bonnet is sized and i cannot loosen it with a 14"Long 1-5/16" box wrench. I've given up and the wife agrees that it's time for a new and different brand faucet.

GL77

Reaction score
I don't have the diamond seal, I have an older style Delta faucet, but I had the problem of not being able to get the bonnet off, too. I really wanted to save this faucet because I had another faucet go bad and the replacement they sent me, in their new style, is pure junk. I've already had to replace the cartridge twice, which they gladly send you, but I'd rather have a good quality faucet that works well.
Anyway, I was able to get it apart by putting vinegar into the joint to soak overnight, then using 2 rubber strap wrenches.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks