Toto Toilet Flapper closes too quickly

Users who are viewing this thread

Tobi

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a Toto Carlyle II and in recent weeks/months we've had to hold the handle for a second or two longer to make sure it flushes. If we press it and let go like normal it fails to flush. I opened the tank and noticed the flapper seems to close too fast, not letting enough water into the bowel. The flapper is in good condition. I tried adjusting the chain so that it is tighter/looser. I've noticed if I make it looser it works a little better but still not working 100%. A year or two ago I replaced the fill valve with a Korky Quiet Valve because the original broke. Other than that I sometimes clean the inside of the tank with vinegar to clear up any dirt.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? Should I try buying a new flapper even though the one I have looks new? Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you installed a Korky with a white cap, then the bowl isn't being refilled to the correct height.
The Blue cap or the Gray cap is the one you want. The bowl needs to be full before the flush.
Also, some flappers like the Fluidmaster are adjustable. You can shorten or lengthen the duration of the float of the flapper.

korky-3060-2.jpg

Last edited:

Tobi

Reaction score
I checked and I have the grey cap. I ordered the korky flapper replacement and installed it today and its flushing well again. The old flapper was clean but I noticed it was hard as a rock. It hurt my fingers removing it from the toilet.

How much slack do you guys like to leave on the chain? Do you cut the excess chain off? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Whatever you do with the excess chain, cut it off, or make a loop with it, you need to ensure that it can't get caught under the flapper valve or against anything else.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks