TOTO SS113 Slow Close Round Seat

Users who are viewing this thread

axelf911

Reaction score
Dear Forum,

A while back I remember reading a thread about TOTO SS113 and SS114 seats being too curved in and some people preferring the straighter and flatter seats. Then Terry mentioned that these seats have becomes flatter in the newer designs.

I have a TOTO ECO Drake CST743E round bowl. I have been using the Bemis 201SLOWA for a while because it is a fairly cheap slow close option.

Recently, it hasn't felt too comfortable and I know it has 4 bumpers. The two front bumpers touch the bowl when I sit down, but the rear bumpers don't feel like they touch the bowl. Is it normal for toilet seat rear bumpers not to touch the bowl? I'm thinking of replacing this seat with the SS113.

I'm just wondering are there any recent photographs of the SS113 round seat to show how the seat has become flatter? I'm just thinking if the Bemis seat isn't working out for me, I should spend the money and go for the SS113 since it should fit perfectly on my TOTO toilet.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The dished SS113 and SS114 haven't been made in ten years. They're all rather flat now.
The funny thing was that most everyone liked them. A few people complained and we don't get to buy that style anymore.
You know how that works. A happy customers just keeps buying them. One unhappy customers goes all over the Internet complaining. Long ago I heard it was a 10 to 1 ration. Someone is ten times more likely to complain than to post a good review. But yes, to answer your question, they are all flat now.

axelf911

Reaction score
The dished SS113 and SS114 haven't been made in ten years. They're all rather flat now.
The funny thing was that most everyone liked them. A few people complained and we don't get to buy that style anymore.
You know how that works. A happy customers just keeps buying them. One unhappy customers goes all over the Internet complaining. Long ago I heard it was a 10 to 1 ration. Someone is ten times more likely to complain than to post a good review. But yes, to answer your question, they are all flat now.

Sounds good. I'm leaning towards getting the SS113.

Any idea why the rear bumpers of my bemis slow close seat don't touch the bowl? See attached photo. It wouldn't make sense to design in bumpers that never touch. Would this be a design defect or just incompatibility with the TOTO?

Attachments

• IMG_0836.JPG
    IMG_0836.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
My slow close Bemis seat does not have rear bumpers. I don't remember any toilet seats with rear bumpers, but I have not been looking.

bemis-color-match-white.jpg

axelf911

Reaction score

Terry, would you by any chance have a photo of the latest SS113? I'm leaning towards getting this. Usually on youtube and in the forums, people show pictures of the SS114, but I have yet to see the SS113. The ones from the web or the Toto website seem very out of date. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

axelf911

Reaction score

Hi Terry,

I just bought the SS113. I got a few questions maybe you or someone else can help out with:

1. The rubber grips that go under the seat hinges, I am assuming they snap on? One side has thin jutting pieces and one side is perfectly flat. The thin jutting pieces snap onto the bottom of the seat hinges?
  2. How to open the tabs from the top? I know the manual talks about opening the tabs from the bottom, but once installed how to open from the top? Would I need a really fine flathead screwdriver to open it? Seems very hard.
  3. How to center the toilet seat? Should it fit exactly or overhang the seat a bit? It seems like the seat holes aren't circular but longer oval type so it has more give forward and backward.

Thanks for the help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1. The thin plastic goes flat side down. The pins fit into the seat, there are holes for them.
2. A thin blade opens from the top. I open from the bottom when I pull the seat from the box. I can pop them open with a flat blade from below before I install. Don't open the seat with the tabs up. Those get pushed into place before you try opening the seat.
3. Long slots for the seat placement. It's however you like it. Either hanging over or trim to the end.

axelf911

Reaction score
1. The thin plastic goes flat side down. The pins fit into the seat, there are holes for them.
2. A thin blade opens from the top. I open from the bottom when I pull the seat from the box. I can pop them open with a flat blade from below before I install. Don't open the seat with the tabs up. Those get pushed into place before you try opening the seat.
3. Long slots for the seat placement. It's however you like it. Either hanging over or trim to the end.

Hi Terry,

Regarding the tabs, the instructions say open the tabs then place hinges on the toilet. Open the seat a bit to lay the hinges flat on the holes. At this point are you saying do not open the tabs and keep them closed instead? In that case I would need to open the tabs from the top in order to put in the screws?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You do have to bend the hinge away from the seat to flatten it first, and then you have room to pop the tops off. There is thin plastic on one side that hinges the bolt covers.

axelf911

Reaction score
You do have to bend the hinge away from the seat to flatten it first, and then you have room to pop the tops off. There is thin plastic on one side that hinges the bolt covers.

So just to clarify, would it be correct to say that I don't really need to pop the tabs off from the top at all? I can insert the plastic stopper. Flatten out the hinge. Then pop the tabs out from the bottom and insert the screws?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So just to clarify, would it be correct to say that I don't really need to pop the tabs off from the top at all? I can insert the plastic stopper. Flatten out the hinge. Then pop the tabs out from the bottom and insert the screws?

Yes. I never try to open from the top.

William Dabrowsk

Reaction score
I like this seat on my new Toto toilet compared to my old toilet as this doesn't slam shut on you, which is especially good when you have young children. It's also much harder for my son to rip this seat off of the toilet. It has a smaller rim too so my kids don't even need to use a potty seat to sit on it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks