TOTO Drake Toilet Reviews, 2004 and some newer

Users who are viewing this thread

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
Consumer reviews and opinions can be posted below concerning the Toto Drake toilet.
Map testing for the CST744S is 900 grams.
Terry Love's Consumer Report on Toilets
Post a Followup

"After one year of living with a plunger, I replaced both of my toilets with the Toto Drake model. What a relief that this problem in my house is permanently solved. The toilets were easy to install, and never, never any clogs. Thank you, Terry, for your invaluable web site."
Brian Austin Mon, 21 Mar 2005

Installing instructions

The most recent comments about the Toto Drake

I would have never thought I'd have given so much thought to "toilets"!. But I have. My knees are becoming troublesome, so I had a plumber out yesterday to do an estimate on an ADA. He recommended the Toto Drake. After browsing Consumer Reports ratings and doing a Google search and coming across your site, I immediately called and scheduled an installation for this morning. It sits very comfortably, is easy on the knees, flushes complete and remarkably fast, and has an almost no-noise refill. Amazing. KBNiteOwl 10/7/2004

Thanks for recommending the Toto Drake.

When we remodeled our main bathroom in 1999, we had to install our first 1.6gal toilet. That terrified us. We didn't want the deafening noise, splashing mess or streaks & spots we saw with other low-flow toilets. And, reflush after every use to clear the bowl? What a waste. And we certainly didn't want to live with a plunger next to the bowl.

After reading your advice, we installed a Toto Drake Elongated bowl toilet in August 1999. It took us a few weeks to get used to the quick, quiet flush, thinking that it wouldn't meet our needs.

We were gratefully surprised. The toilet is regularly used by our family and serves as the guest bath when we have gatherings. In the last 5 years, I can remember only one time that I've had to find the plunger. That was after my 9 yr-old niece, who (no exaggeration) tends wad about a quarter of a roll of TP.

We're planning another bathroom addition and will purchase another Toto Drake. Thanks for your advice. D. & K. Taylor 10/1/2004

About 9 months ago we remodeled our main bathroom and bought a one piece American Standard toilet. It looks nice but clogs up 2 or 3 times a week with solid waste. After finally being fed up, my wife and I went to Lowes and talked to their so called toilet expert. After explaining our flushing problems the guy looked at us and stated that he has never heard of a problem like that before. So much for his expert help!

I came home and started doing some research on the internet and came across into your site. Boy did I find out everything that I needed to know about toilets!! Based on your site test report and user comments, we decided to buy a Toto Drake and we couldn't be happier with our choice. It flushes very quickly and efficiently, has a large water surface area, and is quiet to boot.

Through your site I was able to find out all of the information I needed to know about what makes a good toilet work, so I could make an informed decision to make a purchase, thank you very much for all your effort!!!
David Farber, homeowner
Tue, 28 Dec 2004

cst744-gal-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Toto is the tops
I found your site via searches on the web, and because you liked the Toto line, bought four (4) Drake elongated bowl models to replace the crappy Crane Plumbing models that the builder of my house probably got for nothing. I have experienced constant plugging and incomplete flush problems with these things since the house was new. What a difference the Drake's have made. It took me a few days to get used to the quick and sudden flush, in fact, my first reaction was that something was wrong with the bowl or valve because I thought the flush was rather weak. Having seen and experienced it in action for a few days, I now know that this is worlds apart from what I had before.

Your site has much good information, and now when people open up and admit they too have flush problems, I tell them to visit your site and, ahem, come over and experience the Toto for themselves. L Wong Mon, 10 Jan 2005

I recently purchased and installed a Toto Drake (Elongated bowl) in my home. I made my purchase decision based on your website and the many reviews I read. So far, we are VERY impressed with this toilet, and the power of the flush action. Thanks, and I love your site! -Andrew Poziomka Halifax, NS , Canada
Sat, 15 Jan 2005

We bought this house in November, 2003 and found the Eljer toilets that were in the house did nothing but clog. We nearly wore out two plungers. After doing much research, mainly on this website, I bought two Toto toilets, CST744S and I think the problem is solved. I bought them at Auburn Winnelson in Auburn, Al. I drove about 70 miles, one way, to get them. Since Friday, when they were installed, we have had no trouble. Why anyone would buy anything else is beyond me. Freeman Porter Mon, 17 Jan 2005

The installation last night (Friday Night Fun) of the Drake was very easy. It took about an hour from removing the old 1957 vintage to the new Drake. I agree with all the other comments such as the "Home to the 3 Sec Flush" that will "Flush a pig thru a straw."
Randy - Fort Collins CO. Sat, 22 Jan 2005

I am please to report that the Toto Drake w/ CEFIONTECT that I purchased from you, has been installed. We can not be more pleased with the result. Now we have two Toto Drakes installed in our home... what will we do with the plungers?

Thanks for the CD of your son's band. my daughter has it in her car. E. Hayes

Terry - I am forever in your debt for your web site. We started shopping for a new toilet after my poor husband was stuck snaking out our toilet every day for about 2 weeks (after becoming pregnant things just didn't go down as easily...). Our existing toilet was an early low flow of an unknown brand. We only have 1 bathroom in our house so finding a toilet that would stay in working condition was a top priority. After much research my husband and I settled on a Toto Drake and couldn't be happier. We can safely say that this toilet has been put to the toughest test and has come out with flying colors. I give the Drake a high grade despite clogging it twice in the 3 months we've had it. I can attest that this is the easiest toilet to plunge. It hardly takes any effort since the plunger fits into the toilet bowl like a glove. We have many family & friends that will be installing Toto Drakes into their own homes after visiting our house. We would have never known about this toilet without this web site - thank you Terry!

P Freeze Sat, 19 Feb 2005
We built a house several years ago and unfortunately we installed two Crane toilets. Just too frustrating for words. (Trust me. Anything can stop a Crane!) We did some research and found your webpage. The owner comments sold us on Toto.

We live in rural SE Ohio, so we drove to Columbus -- the nearest dealer, bought two Drakes and had them installed the first of this month. They have performed flawlessly. We highly recommend Toto. ( And don't leave the store without those soft close seats.) Say goodbye to plungers, lids slamming and splashy flushes. These toilets really work as described. They are well worth the price.
RA in OH Wed, 23 Feb 2005

Thank you very much Terry for your review of the Toto Drake. After reading about the Drake and reading everyone's positive comments, I put the plunger away and purchased 2 Toto Drakes. It has been two weeks and my whole family is extremely pleased! They are fast, quiet and efficient. I am convinced by the powerful and thorough flush that the odds of me plunging again are very slim. My wife and I were plunging almost daily for the last 2 years. Incredible! No one should hesitate to purchase the Drake. A pressurized toilet is not necessary. Thanks again, The Sagnor Family Thu, 29 Sep 2005

It has been three years since I installed one in my first floor bathroom. This toilet has been absolutely trouble free. Much thanks to your website. I’ve comeback to assess your reviews again as it is time to change out another 3.5 gal flush toilet upstairs. It will definitely be another Toto.
A very happy Drake owner from Southern Chester County PA Fri, 19 Aug 2005

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I live in a small condo on top of all my appliances so quiet appliances are a priority. Toto Drake passes the test. The flush is powerful, quick, and very quiet. The tank refills with water quickly and quietly.
Gayle

This toilet ROCKS! Would flush a pig through a straw! And for all you lazy bones like me, get the self-closing seat & cover (elongated of course.) What a pleasure to slam them down, yet NOT slam them! It closes slowly no matter how hard you try.
Greg July 16, 2004

I recently emailed you a question as to whether to purchase a Kohler Wellington or what other toilet would be best. You had suggested the Toto. Well, we purchased the Drake, ADA height from a supplier. We then had our plumber put it in. This was his first Toto he had installed and he was impressed. And just to think it was made a few miles south of us. We are north of Atlanta and it was made in a town just south of Atlanta. I have thoroughly enjoyed the toilet and would recommend it highly! Thank you so much for your recommendation. I even told another supplier about your website because he was selling Totos and said that they are really selling now.
Sheree July 7, 2004

Based on this site, I installed a Toto Drake to replace an American Standard w/ Sloan Flushmate that we'd had for 6 months. (With the American Standard, if paper was dropped toward the front of the elongated bowl, it would hang up and not be flushed, even on repeat flushings - poor bowl design.)

The Toto Drake is very quiet and flushes fine, but I have one concern - only about half the water from the tank goes into the bowl - the flapper closes so quickly that a LOT of water remains in the tank (unless you hold the handle down longer than normal). Is this normal?
Steve, July 6, 2004

Steve,
Yes, it's normal. Almost all 1.6 toilets have tanks that hold 3 gallons or more.

1.6 gallons are released into the bowl during a flush.

The reason that more water is held in the tank, is to elevate it,
more height makes for more speed on the drop of the water.

A nice side benefit of the new toilets, is less condensation on the tank. The water stays closer to room temperature.
Terry Love

Wow - I am so glad I found this site. Thanks for the information. I replaced one of my toilets (a low flow american standard) with the Drake a couple of months back. I installed it myself in about an hour. It has been great! Since purchasing, we have never had to flush more than once a use - and certainly haven't needed that plunger! My wife thinks I am wierd when I tell my friends that I love the toilet - but (no pun intended) I really am impressed. It is a great product and I highly recomend it. Eventually, I will be replacing my other toilets with Drakes.
Jeff, May 26 2004

Is there any difference in flush performance between the round and elongated models of the Toto Drake?

Thanks!
Chuck P. June 1, 2004

They tested the elongated CST744S on the MAP report.
Anything over 500 grams is plenty.
In fact 350 has been doing well on some of the toilets.
The Drake was reported in at 900 which is pretty good.
Reasons to go elongated is the extra room.
Did I say extra? Let me say "needed" space.
I sell many more elongated than round.
Terry Love

Thanks for the information about toilets on your web site. We were looking to replace all the "builder special" toilets in our home that didn't flush completly on the first flush. In addition, we have a toddler who, since being potty trained, has plugged the cheap, low flow toilets regularly--sometimes twice a week! After finding your site and doing some research into the toilets from your links, I selected the Toto Drake model. I had never heard of the Toto brand before. I was a bit skeptical and started out slow, trying just one at first to make sure it performed satisfactorily. I was so pleased, we replaced the other two toilets. I have had them now a little over two months and they have performed flawlessly! No more plunger by the toilets!! Thanks again for your information.
J. Wahl , April 24, 2004

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I was ready to purchase the American Standard Champion till i came upon your web site. Just finished installing a Toto drake. Quiet, strong flush. 2 more drakes to be installed. Anyone in the market for 3 plungers???
Thanks,
Matt February 25, 2004

I love my Toto Drake. We replaced a toilet 2 months ago that would back up at least once every 2 weeks. Our new Drake hasn't even thought about backing up. I never thought I would say, "I love my toilet," but after living in our new house with toilets that didn't work, I love my new Drake toilet. I am thinking of installing a banner over our bathroom that says "Home of the 3 Second Flush!"

Now, we need to replace our guest toilet with a Drake.

Thanks for the info on your website.

-L. Jones March 8, 2004

I installed 3 Toto Drakes in my new home and all 3 work as well as you have stated on your site. One thing I've noticed about their flush that may be unique to Toto, is when the water leaves the bowl, it does not swirl in circular motion as with traditional US gravity toilets. The Toto Drake water simply drops from the bowl right into the hole. Also, I would say the flush produces about as much noise as traditional gravity flushing toilets, but it just happens more quickly. I have recommended Toto to friends and family, and have also told them about your website. The Toto name does not appear to be widely recognized in Michigan as most folks have never heard of the largest plumbing fixture company in the world. Thank you for all your help and advice-
Sincerely, Dean January 27 2004

Based solely on your ratings, I bought two CST743S in June 2003 or replace an old 3.5-gallon and a cheap box store 1.6-gallon that both clogged regularly. No clogs whatsoever with the Drakes. Flushes 100% every time. Quieter than the old ones and shuts off much quicker on refill.
Thank you very much for your website and ratings.
Bill R January 27 2004

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks