Took apart my shower...should I redo the drain based on this pic?

Users who are viewing this thread

canadense

Reaction score
Moved into a house where I noticed some mold and slight water damage in my basement shower. When I took out the rubber floor under the floor tile it was a bit damp. I don't know where the leak was coming from. Should I redo this drain as well (pic attached)?

Toronto-20120506-00382.jpg2Toronto-20120506-00384.jpg
You can see the bolts are rusted around the drain housing so I assume that it wasn't leaking at the pipe, but not sure

The pic is a drain with a p trap with a pvc pipe to the cast iron pipe which was (from what I can tell) a huge cut out then meshed and concrete poured on it.

Should I take this out or is it fine? I was thinking maybe I should take out the pvc p trap and redo it. What are your thoughts?

I want to make a mortar pan after.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How old is the house? CI can last a very long time, or it could be all holy. It appears that you have a clamping drain with a liner. That method works, but like anything, must be done right to work and last. There should be a preslope underneath the liner so the liner is sloped, not flat on the floor. That is the waterproof layer, not the tile. There are some specific details required to make the curb waterproof as well as the liner which must extend without holes above the height of the curb (no nails or screws).

canadense

Reaction score
The house is from the 1950s. The drain in the pic is the older plastic one that I am going to remove. I am more concerned with how the p trap is connected to the CI drain. Will it hold up if I build a mortar shower pan on top or should I rip out the drain? I believe the shower was built in more recent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks