Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Oakland

Reaction score
I am renovating a bathroom and I have to move the toilet about three inches. I know this could be a pain in the a$$ but the bigger pain is that I had to remove the sub floor and sister the joists. Now moving my toilet a couple inches is a breeze with the ABS. Here are the questions:

1) The Kohler toilet we bought calls for a 12" rough in. I am installing Hardibacker behind the toilet because that wall is getting a 4ft wainscoting of split face travertine which at the higher points in the split face is about 3/4 inch. Should I measure 13 inches from my framing to allow for the tiles or is that cutting it too close?

2) I had to boar a hole through the old floor joist and the sister joist to run my vent pipe to the 3" toilet drain. The existing drain pipe was a 3in sanitary Tee which reduced to 2in on the Tee and connected to the vent. The vent was over 45 degrees above center but the sanitary Tee was on it's back. The code check book I have indicates you cannot put a sanitary Tee on it's back. Should I use a wye?

3) Continuing with the toilet vent pipe issue. When I connect the tee or wye to the 3in drain, I have to connect a 45 degree bend then run a short piece of ABS through my joist holes (maintaining an upward slope) then connect to another bend under the bottom plate of the wall to run the vent vertical to eventually connect to the common vent. The last bend under the bottom plate is problematic. The code book seems to indicate a 45 degree is required but the 60 degree fits much better. Any problems with the 60?

4) Finally, with the added width of the sister joist, my ABS drain joggs out to a rough in depth of about just over 14 inches. Can I put a 22.5 degree on the 3 inch drain pipe near the flange (about three inches from the bend)? I have seen these adjustable flanges at Ace that will give me the adjustment but I am wondering which is better practice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Seems like a lot of fittings to move it 3"

The vent can be within six feet in California.
The trap arm can have 135 degrees of change, so 60 degrees shouldn't be a issue.

A wye fitting is considered better for the vent for a fitting on it's back.
If you can use a regular flange, you will be better off then with the offset flanges.

Rough in the distance from the center of the drain to the "finished" wall. With the Cimarron, you may have about 1/2" to 3/4" behind the tank at 12".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks