Toilet not flushing quite right after reinstalling.

Users who are viewing this thread

yokoref

Reaction score
Hello Terry and community!

Sorry lengthy but, a detailed background may help.

I had to replace water damaged and rotten subfloor in a second-floor bathroom.

After removing the toilet, I could see that the flange was damaged and set below the final floor height. So, I figured I would replace it since I have the floor up anyway.
Then I noticed that the 3 “ ABS double sanitary tee was cracked. I figured because the floor wasn’t sound and too much weight from some sitting on the toilet.

Anyway, this repair now involves redoing the toilet in the master bath that shares the tee as well.
I love these projects that keep getting bigger and bigger.
Plus, I plan on replacing some cheap Eljer toilets that clogged all the time with Toto toilets.
The old sanitary tee was the older type that I believe is no longer up to code in many areas.

So, I opted to install the newer style with the longer bends (not sure if I got the terminology correct). Also, in the Toto documentation they recommended this style for better flushing.

So, after replacing the sanitary tee, pipe (with correct slope), new subfloor, and new flange I reinstalled the toilet in the master bath. Yeah, I reinstalled the Eljer toilet because I needed it back up and working now and still saving up for the Toto toilets. I cleaned the toilet very well, removed any residual wax, and removed some “god knows what” (I don’t want to know) crusty buildup in the trap - almost like new.

With a new wax ring, set the toilet correctly and worked as designed (I didn’t say great because it is still an Eljer).

Ok, now my issue. Sometimes the toilet doesn’t seem to flush correctly. It seems to flush fine and then sometimes like it is partially clogged. Unless one of my kids clogged it and didn’t say anything (that never happens….lol). I plunger it then it works fine again until it doesn’t.

I need to try an auger to make sure but need to get one. I was thinking maybe a venting issue but, it should be good. The only things different from the original install is the new sanitary tee and I used a stainless-steel ring flange.

Any ideas on what else I could check?
Could it be the double sanitary tee I installed?

Attachments

• pipes.jpg
    pipes.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 168

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There could still be something in the trapway of the old toilet slowing it down. There are some places that are hidden that can hide kids toys.

Also the double santee and the double fixture fitting are still not enough of a sweep for the current crop of back to back toilets.

We're using a double wye now.

yokoref

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry!
Actually, the photo isn't the exact one I installed, I just used that pic for convenience. It is very confusing with some of the resalers product terms. I wouldn't doubt they are mixing things up.
This is the one I ordered and installed but the photo looks like the top connection is a spigot but the one I have is a hub fitting. Hope I am getting the terms right.
3" DWV ABS Double Combi Tee Wye
https://www.amazon.com/DWV-ABS-Double-Combi-Tee/dp/B003O5K116

In my area most of the houses were built using ABS but, none of the stores carry it and need to order online. I hope this one will be fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks