Toilet not draining

Users who are viewing this thread

MinorRepairs

Reaction score
Got a question… I just replaced the ejector pump in my basement. I resealed the basin and now the toilet drains slow. Sinks seem to be okay. The vent line has a studor valve. I thought that might be the problem so I replaced it. Still doesn’t work. Verified that the new studor valve worked, reinstalled, same issue. When I remove the studor valve, the toilet drains fine. It’s almost like there is a vapor lock in the tank, but the pump works fine when the basin fills up. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You vented the pump with a studor valve? You can't do that. There's not really a fix because it needs vented.

MinorRepairs

Reaction score
You vented the pump with a studor valve? You can't do that. There's not really a fix because it needs vented.
No, the sump basin has a output line and a vent line. The ejector is connected to the output line, the studor is on the vent line. This setup has worked for years, I just replaced the ejector pump and now the toilet bowl fills, but doesn’t drain into the basin properly. If I remove the studor valve on the vent stack so air can escape as well as enter, it works fine. It’s gotta be something simple, I'm just missing it.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, the sump basin has a output line and a vent line. The ejector is connected to the output line, the studor is on the vent line. This setup has worked for years, I just replaced the ejector pump and now the toilet bowl fills, but doesn’t drain into the basin properly. If I remove the studor valve on the vent stack so air can escape as well as enter, it works fine. It’s gotta be something simple, I'm just missing it.
I think you said nope, but meant yes. You DO have a valve on your sump pit? If so it CAN'T be there.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The volume of Water from the toilet has to displace an equal volume of Air in the sump. The lid was likely leaky and was pushing air past the lid. The vent for the sump should exit the house independently if possible but can combine with other vents in the house if its too much work to accomplish an individual vent through the roof. However it still needs to tie in a minimum 6" above the flood level of the fixture of the vent it combines to.

Air Admittance Valves (AKA Studor Vents) only allow air into a plumbing system in order to break a siphon at a fixture or set of fixtures. They do not allow air to escape a closed system such as a sewage ejector sump system.

Reach4

Reaction score
You are being given good information. One test you could do to convince you that they are right would be to unscrew the AAV. That will simulate what would happen with a real thru the roof vent.

MinorRepairs

Reaction score
You are being given good information. One test you could do to convince you that they are right would be to unscrew the AAV. That will simulate what would happen with a real thru the roof vent.
Already did that and it worked fine. My conundrum is that it worked fine before I replaced the ejector without any sewer gas odor. It is possible that when I sealed it up after the fix I sealed where the air was escaping. I will look into an outside vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks