Utility Tub and Washer on same drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

stevedub

Reaction score
I just moved into my house, built in 1967 and I am trying to replace the existing Laundry/Utility Tub and want to know how to best drain it.
I want to do my best to fix the bad situation that I have, as easily as possible.

I want to install a new laundry tub with a new P trap, as well as a new washer stand pipe so I dont have to drain the washer directly into the sink.
I will not be finishing these walls.

In the picture of the current set-up, the vertical drain pipe runs upstairs directly to the kitchen double sink. There is no vents anywhere that I can see. There is a cutoff vertical copper pipe on the left that is taped. Not sure what this was used for.

Also of note, the vertical drain is only 1.5 inch copper into the ground. I understand that 2" is code now, but I won't be able to get into the concrete to fix that so I am stuck with 1.5 in.

The 2nd picture is my proposed drain design. I'm going to get rid of the copper and go all 1.5in PVC. I want to add a studor vent but I'm really not exactly sure the best way to go about doing this. Is my design feasible? Or is there a fatal flaw? I expect that the tub may fill up when the washer is draining. I am OK with that.

Let me know if I need to be more clear on anything. I've been lurking these forums for a few days but I'm not much of a plumber.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• signal-2023-10-16-091940_002.jpeg
    signal-2023-10-16-091940_002.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 174
  • DrainPlanV2.jpg
    DrainPlanV2.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 172
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks