Toilet Installation and causes for cracks inside the bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

Detroit plumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
Would love to hear thoughts. Recently roughed in toilet at 12.5 by the time drywall tile etc.. Actual was 11.4. We installed it by grouting base of toilet down to keep from rocking and stabilize the commode. The customer noticed a crack inside the bowl and had a plumber replace the toilet. That plumber said the crack was because we had rough in at just under 11.5 and we used grout to fill in gaps and keep commode from rocking. They want me to be responsible for replacing toilet. Does this sound right. The crack was inside the bowl. Thoughts please???

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The cracks inside the bowl have nothing to do with the install. It was just a defective bowl. Who supplied the toilet?

It's normal to shim and caulk a bowl to prevent rocking. Using grout is the same really. Nothing you did could have caused an interior crack.
Most modern 12" toilets will rough at 11.5"
Some even at 10-9/16"

Detroit plumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
The cracks inside the bowl have nothing to do with the install. It was just a defective bowl. Who supplied the toilet?

It's normal to shim and caulk a bowl to prevent rocking. Using grout is the same really. Nothing you did could have caused an interior crack.
Most modern 12" toilets will rough at 11.5"
Some even at 10-9/16"
It was the client who provided the toilet
image.jpg

This was the picture that was sent also
The letter from client see below. I'm really trying to be there for the customer and stand by my work but everyone I talk to says that Im not responsible for the toilet. What are your thought on the situation now that you see the picture and the accusations??
image.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "plumber" must have had an "axe to grind", because a defective installation would have cracked the base of the toilet. I am not getting what the 11 1/2" rough has to do with "filling the gap", however, since the toilet would still sit on the floor, regardless of the measurement. Why is the flange broken on the "left side"? Was the toilet installed by sitting it ON the flange instead of over it?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What model and brand of toilet doesn't sit down over a closet flange?
Kohler made some that required a full 12", but they has since changed the mold.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks