Toilet hard or soft water?

Users who are viewing this thread

schemmy

Reaction score
My toilet sweats really bad and I noticed right after my water enters the house from the ground one of the first places it goes is to the toilet. So I have really cool water (from the ground) going into a warm environment. Thinking of running the supply from a different location in the basement to give the water time to warm up. Should I also be looking at suppling the water from my softener to the toilet. Found several opinions on this from it is waste of soft water (unless you have a staining problem) to everything in the house is hooked up to soft water.
Any opinions would be appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the toilet is one of the older, 3.5g or larger toilets, the simple substitution of a new 1.6 or 1.2g toilet may solve that problem. Another solution that may help is to add in a tempering valve that would add in enough hot to keep it above the dew point. Newer toilets, while they use less water, have similar sized tanks, so there's some room-temperature water let in the tank when you flush. They use the extra size/height to help boost the flush power. Now, this won't help if you flush frequently prior to that water having a chance to warm up. They do make insulated tanks, but again, that won't help in a frequently flushed toilet since insulation only slows things down, doesn't stop it. The only certain fix is a tempering valve, but most people don't have a problem with the newer, lower flow toilets.

Matt Peiris

Reaction score
Sprinklers or outside faucets don't need softened water, unless necessary to prevent iron stains on buildings and concrete (softener removes some iron as well). However, plumb everything else including the water heater and toilet to be downstream of the softener.

schemmy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. jadnashua because of the distance from the heater to the toilet not sure valve work. But since I will be doing plumbing may include a valve.
Thanks again for the replies.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have an unfinished basement, consider running a hot water line to the toilet. It may not be hot when it gets there, but it wont be 33 degrees, either.
We vacationed in Canada and spent a few nights on Salt Spring Island a few years back. Out of professional curiosity I pulled the tank lid off the toilet and discovered the entire tank was sheathed in Styrofoam on the inside. Good idea for that neighborhood.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks