Leak at toilet seal - source of stoppage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Murphysf

Reaction score
Hi

I have an old Foremost toilet probabaly from the 60s or older. Its in my garage

It has really bad flushing performance, most stools even soft ones it backs up.

My son used it the other day and after he flushed it backed up. This time water leaked out from under the base. This is the first time it has done this.

Is this any indication if where the blockage could be? For example in the toilet itself or after the flange?

I have used the toilet several times since yesterday and it hasn't leaked.

I'm trying to get some insight to see if there is any connection to the blockage and the leak.

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
I think it likely the leak is below the toilet. I am not a plumber.

New toilets tend to have much better flushing performance. Also, they use less water per flush, and a clog will not cause them to overflow.

Eman85

Reaction score
I'll also claim I'm not a plumber. That said if there was a leak under the toilet I wouldn't be using it I'd be pulling it, a wax ring is cheap.
I have a very old Standard toilet in my shop that stopped flushing solids. I checked my septic cleanout and flow in the line, cleaned all of the toilet rim holes and augered the toilet. My neighbor who is a plumber looked at it and when we flushed it with some toilet paper in it he dumped some water into the bowl as it flushed and away everything went. I put an extension on the flush valve tube and adjusted the float higher and away go troubles down the drain. It obviously isn't saving any water but it flushes.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are signs of how far down a stoppage is. Apparently you dont have a stoppage OK, you cant argue the wax is good , and if water leaked around the floor and now it dosent then you absolutely did have a stoppage below floor at that time

Murphysf

Reaction score
There are signs of how far down a stoppage is. Apparently you dont have a stoppage OK, you cant argue the wax is good , and if water leaked around the floor and now it dosent then you absolutely did have a stoppage below floor at that time
thanks for the reply.

I have been in this home for 20 years and the toilet has been backing up for as long as I can remember. I leave a plunger next to it. The toilet is in my garage so it barely gets used so I have been ignoring it. I recently bought a new toilet however haven't put it in yet as I have had higher priority jobs. Up until now I have thought it has been the toilet but now I am starting to wonder if it is something past the toilet flange.

This past weekend when my son used it and it backed up was the first time a little bit of water came out from under the toilet.

So I can swap the toilet and see if the backup goes away or perhaps have a plumber friend with an inspection camera stop by and take a look before I put the new toilet in.

hmmmm

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yea it dosent sound too pressing though. it could be that plunging it broke the wax seal . You might have a blockage in that bowl like a hairbrush tooth brush etc as well

Murphysf

Reaction score
Yea it dosent sound too pressing though. it could be that plunging it broke the wax seal . You might have a blockage in that bowl like a hairbrush tooth brush etc as well
yeah, about 8 months ago I removed the toilet to take a look but didn't see anything however it was just a quick look and there could be something in the toilet's trap or a bit further down the drain that I couldn't see

my plumber friend will stop by at the end of the week with his camera.

Murphysf

Reaction score
ok well share results with us ,have a good week!
ran the camera down the toilet flange and sewer pipe and no obstruction. I installed the new toilet and it flushes well, no more backups or stopages. sorry for the delay in responded I was busy dealing with damaged ceiling joist in my attic.

thanks to everyone for their advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks