Toilet flange..what am I looking at?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Roadman33, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Roadman33

Roadman33 I know enough to get in trouble

My toilet fan just sitting too high What is this flange that's on there already? Can anybody tell me? They had the prior owner of toilet on there that was working with this configuration I'd like to make it better any advice. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Lift the gray plastic, and take another photo. I don't remember what the gray thing is called. But you need something thinner, unless that flange lifts and pushes down. If it is not stable vertically, it should be secured vertically.

If the flange is stable vertically, and slots are not messed up, use wax.

If the slots are messed up, Sioux Chief 886-MR or
    Harvey's 014710 (which is stainless) can provide the good slots. They add a little thickness, but not a lot.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Roadman33

Attached Files:

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Looks OK. How does it feel?

If it feels solid, fit the toilet with no wax first. Figure out what shims you will need to prevent rocking. Place or mark them.

Lift the toilet. Place the wax. Drop the toilet onto the shims.

Roadman33 likes this.
  6. Roadman33

Seems okay.
    thanks for the sequence of events I'll give those a go after work and let you know how it goes. I really appreciate your help.

7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    FWIW toilet flanges are designed to be installed on top of the finished floor with no gaps beneath. If it's too high the toilet may rock on it and leave no room for the wax to create the seal.

8. Roadman33

I ended up cutting that out the whole flange. I used a inside the pipe cutter so that I didn't have to take up the floor.

This left me with a 4-in pipe about an inch and 3/4 down into the concrete slab. Then I installed one of these. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-4-in-PVC-DWV-Replacement-Closet-Flange-43539/100139480

I was only able to get two concrete bolts in it and then I used construction and he said PL to glue the rest to the concrete floor. This made the height perfect I installed the toilet and it seemed great.

My only fear now is that that flange that I replaced it with expands out on the ABS pipe and that's a lot of pressure I don't know if that's too much? Will it crack the ABS pipe?

9. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Does the concrete go right up to the ABS outside? If so, that should be a mighty reinforcement.

If so, I would be more worried about the plastic resisting the pull of the closet bolts.

10. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

In order to avoid having Pulling force applied to the flange. How deep below the flange is the concrete? You might be able to get 1/4" stainless wedge anchors into the concrete and thru the flange to tighten the toilet down. The threads would enable you to additinally bolt the flange to the floor, but also the toilet would be fastened to the concrete.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson...Wedge-Anchor-100-Pack-STB2-253144SS/205312388

Tacoma screw products or Dunn lumber would have those in stock.