Toilet Flange question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason Kay

Reaction score
Hi. Replacing my 2nd floor bathroom floor. I removed the tile and cement board. I plan on installing Kerdi, then the tile. The toilet flange now sitting above the sub floor and the metal ring spins freely. without removing the existing flange and ring, how do I go about installing the Kerdi and tile? Can I screw the metal ring into the sub floor even though there is that gap between the floor and ring? Do I just cut the Kerdi around the ring and not under the ring itself? Advice is appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_1068.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
What is the top of your subfloor now? Kerdi does not get applied directly to plywood, so if that's old thinset on top of plywood, you'd need to scrape off the thinset, and then install a new tile substrate of cement board plus Kerdi, or Kerdiboard, or Ditra. If the subfloor is solid-sawn wood, you'll need a layer of plywood before the tile substrate.

Assuming the height of the ring is reasonable for your new buildup of tile substrate plus tile, then just arrange for a tile substrate seam to run over the flange location. Then each side of the tile substrate seam gets a half circle cut out and slipped under the flange. Similar for tile, arrange for a grout joint to pass over the flange.

If the height is not correct, you're probably better off cutting off the flange and coming up with a plan to install a new flange at the correct height, after at least the tile substrate is down, or after tile.

Cheers, Wayne

Jason Kay

Reaction score
What is the top of your subfloor now? Kerdi does not get applied directly to plywood, so if that's old thinset on top of plywood, you'd need to scrape off the thinset, and then install a new tile substrate of cement board plus Kerdi, or Kerdiboard, or Ditra. If the subfloor is solid-sawn wood, you'll need a layer of plywood before the tile substrate.

Assuming the height of the ring is reasonable for your new buildup of tile substrate plus tile, then just arrange for a tile substrate seam to run over the flange location. Then each side of the tile substrate seam gets a half circle cut out and slipped under the flange. Similar for tile, arrange for a grout joint to pass over the flange.

If the height is not correct, you're probably better off cutting off the flange and coming up with a plan to install a new flange at the correct height, after at least the tile substrate is down, or after tile.

Cheers, Wayne
Sorry I meant I’m using Ditra on the floor. Ditra can be applied to plywood sub floor which is what’s currently there. I don’t need cement board per Schluters instructions. The Ditra can slip under the metal ring. I guess I’m asking do I secure the metal ring to the sub floor through the Ditra?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry I meant I’m using Ditra on the floor. Ditra can be applied to plywood sub floor which is what’s currently there. I don’t need cement board per Schluters instructions. The Ditra can slip under the metal ring. I guess I’m asking do I secure the metal ring to the sub floor through the Ditra?
Yes, Ditra is meant for application to plywood, so no problem.

Will the Ditra + thinset under the Ditra + tile + thinset under the tile match the existing gap between the flange and the plywood subfloor? If so, you don't need to change the flange, and one option is:

- install Ditra under the flange
- precut your tiles to slip under the flange, lay them out
- note the hole locations in the flange, and cut clearance slots or holes in the tiles (easier to do before installing them)
- install the tiles getting them flush with the underside of the flange
- now screw the flange down to the subfloor

The other option you have is simply to precut a plywood spacer of the correct thickness (an annulus cut in half works, OD = flange OD plus a maybe 1/4", ID = pipe OD plus maybe 1/8"), and screw the toilet flange down first thing (long screws through the spacer into the subfloor). Then your Ditra and tile just butt into the spacer (well, you leave an expansion gap like you do at the edge of the room).

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks