Tiny gas leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike W.

Reaction score
I just ran a new gas line under my daughters house. Could detect no leaks. However, observing the outdoor gas meter's 1/4 cubic foot index shows a rotation of about 3 percent of its 360 total rotation over 24 hours. I calculate this to be about .0075 cubic feet per day which certianly seems small. Its is a ventilated crawl space. Currently no gas appliances are in use and there are no standing pilots. Should I have her shut off the gas or is this such a small amount it would never be a problem? There is no detectable odor in the house or under. She lives far away and so I can't recheck for leaks. Would a leak this small even be detectable by soap solution method? My current advice to her is to just keep an eye on the meter for a few days to make sure it does not increase and to be aware of any odor at the crawl space access which is an interior hatch. Was this bad advice given the volume or should I have her call a plumber now. The new line is 1/2 inch black iron if it makes any difference. Meter movement was not checked before intalling the new line so for all I know it already existed. If it were my house I'd probably ignore it but this is my daughters house so I worry if you know what I mean. Anyway, thanks for reading this and your learned advice.

Reach4

Reaction score
That is about 0.5 cubic inches per hour, so you could probably blow a bubble with a good bubble solution.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
"Should I have her shut off the gas or is this such a small amount it would never be a problem?"

You should turn it off unless you can find a leak, and fix it.

Some leaks are underground where it splits from the meter.

Why is the gas on, and did you run a line, if nothing is connected to it ? Just for leak test ?

Gas lines require a permit in most location. It is not DIY. Watching for a leak using the service meter is not the correct way to test for gas leaks, But can work for water leaks.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my city, any change, modification, alteration, addition or deduction to the gas lines must be permitted, inspected, tested, approved and signed off.

A leak is a leak, small or big doesn't matter, they are all trouble waiting to happen.

Get a licensed plumber to bring your gas piping to code.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
In my city, any change, modification, alteration, addition or deduction to the gas lines must be permitted, inspected, tested, approved and signed off.

A leak is a leak, small or big doesn't matter, they are all trouble waiting to happen.

Get a licensed plumber to bring your gas piping to code.

Yep, They all let the stink out.

Gas is nothing to play with.

Even lighting farts requires PPE.

DavidMc

Reaction score
Any noticeable movement of that 1/4 foot hand should be investigated. Likely it is a small leak and would take some time to find with leak detection solution but I would shut the gas off until you or a certified gas fitter can investigate. Are there any un-capped appliance valves at termination points - could be the source as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks