Time to change shower valve, advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe D

Reaction score
First time doing this and im not sure why but i’m definetley anxious here. The whole front of shower is tiled to the ceiling and no rear access panel. Its an old 3 handle and the galvanized pipe that runs to it is clouded so bad its almost closed. Was gonna install a simmons valve. The pipe going up to the drop ear elbow is clouded galvanized also making this whole thing a major pita.

So it looks like im going to have to cut the tile out in front of the three handle valve, and cut an access out on the rear wall behind the shower. Gonna use uphonor for the install. Any suggestions before I get started? Also it appears that ill have to cut the tile around the shower head arm in order to remove old drop ear elbow and install a new one.. unless anyone has a better idea? Thanks guys for any help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are remodel trims that cover where a three handle faucet was.

gibson-03.jpg

Moen TL2368EP trim on a Moen Posi-Temp here.

gibson-01.jpg

This is what came out. I had access to the back of this one, but normally I'm working from inside the tub and don't have access.

tl2368ep_repair_2.jpg

This is more typical.
I take the template, mark the wall and cut an opening. After the shower valve is in place it's just a matter of installing the trim.
If you have a tub spout, remember to run copper or brass nipples to the tub spout. You can run PEX to a shower head but not for a tub spout.

moen-tub-spout-install.jpg

Joe D

Reaction score
Thanks so much for this one! Only question I have is how to remove the drop ear elbow thats been nailed down. If If I cut from the front into the tile around the shower head arm, its going to have to be massive in order for me to get a hammer or multi tool in there to remove the nails holding the drop ear in place. Am I going to have to access the drop ear from the back of the shower? Also the only way I can see how to solder copper pipe for the spout is thru the back too. Am I correct on this?
Thanks! Joe D