Tilting Wye a little from flat for a toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

oakmanii

Reaction score
I have a toilet coming directly off the side arm of a 3" Wye, where the Wye is laid horizontal, the main line going straight, and the side arm going off to the right. Should I roll the Wye a little so the arm is a little above flat to increase the slope coming from the regular 90 off the toilet? (No room for a long 90.) Of course it will be sloped along the main axis.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
1/4 inch per foot min . a little more wont hurt I usualy give the wye a tad more but not screaming fast

oakmanii

Reaction score
So Jeff, would you not just slope the Wye, but also tilt/twist it so its higher? Not too much or the 45 on it wont be flush for the flange.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you said you had a flat wye I'd roll the branch up a little over 1/4 inch per foot don't know where a 45 came into play.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
For a wye, if the line connecting the midpoints of the two inlets is dead level, then the slope on the branch inlet will be sqrt(2)/2 = 0.707 = 70% of the slope on the barrel. So if the barrel is sloped less than 3/8" per foot, e.g. at the usual 1/4" per foot, then the branch inlet will have too little slope. In that sense, you have to roll the branch up slightly.

In practice, you can't tell when the two inlets are dead level with each other. If the line of the barrel is already defined, I just stick a temporary pipe in the branch inlet, and then roll the wye until the temporary pipe has enough slope.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
if the run of the wye has 1/4 per ft and you put your level on the face of the branch and its 1/4 its good. in almost every case it doesn't need be very technical but we want it to function , meet code , and look good.

oakmanii

Reaction score
You guys are great, I understand now. I miswrote about the 45, I have a 90 coming directly off the Wye side to go up to a toilet, I was fearful if I rotated the Wye too much it wont match up with the flange, but I suppose by doing it just a little, it will be ok, with a little play in the joints.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You guys are great, I understand now. I miswrote about the 45, I have a 90 coming directly off the Wye side to go up to a toilet, I was fearful if I rotated the Wye too much it wont match up with the flange, but I suppose by doing it just a little, it will be ok, with a little play in the joints.
You got it! you cant slope it really fast the flange and 90 will be fine if you just give it slight fall

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks