Thump, Thump sound from the water pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Liang

Reaction score
Recently there is strange vibrating sound from the basement when I use washing machine, or (some) toilets, or showers. I recorded the sound and created a Youtube link (hopefully you could play it!). It seems the sound is from segment where the city water line to the main shutoff valve and PRV. First I thought it is water hammer and so I installed two water hammer arrestors to the washing machine. The sound still remains. I noticed that the sound comes when the water is running toward the washing machine/faucets, not when we shut off the water. My PRV seems OK, at least my water pressure is around 50psi. Any idea?

Any help would be much appreciated. Stay safe!

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to replace or rebuild your prv. Just because it looks fine on the outside and the pressure is good doesn't mean the prv is good.

Reach4

Reaction score
You may be able to work around your PRV problem by changing the set pressure up or down.

To set the pressure, dribble water from a faucet, and watch the pressure gauge as you adjust.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks