Thermostats

Users who are viewing this thread

Heyjoe

Reaction score
What’s your opinion of the Nest learning thermostats. My thermostats aren’t very responsive, for example if I set it at 68 when it drops to 67 it still takes awhile “to make the call” time is of the essence.What thermostat would you use? Nest aren’t exactly cheap, but I do like the idea of setting from my phone. Hydronic system.

One of the threads on thermostats mentioned a power wire, what was he referring too?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Because a WiFi connected thermostat is always using power, it may need the C or common wire from the source (in your case, the boiler). Now, depending on the configuration, it MIGHT work without that wire, but it certainly will work if you can provide it. Some simpler digital thermostats rely on just replaceable batteries. The Nest does have an internal, rechargeable battery. Keep in mind a simple thermostat is basically a light switch. When needed, it closes a switch to apply power to something to make it work. But, the switch itself doesn't have a 'return' to complete a circuit, that return is in the boiler or furnace. On a HVAC system, that 'return' is the C connection. The thermostats like the Nest prefer constant power. THey can work with some systems without it, but you can't really tell for sure until you try it, then need to run another wire, if it isn't already in your cable. If there's a spare wire in your cable, or you can run a new one, it's certain that it will work.

Different systems work best when the thermostat is properly setup to complement it. The better digital ones have multiple setups. Some of them, including the Nest, 'learn' the response of your heating/cooling system, and instead of just being a dumb timer, can adjust when it needs to start to get the temperature where and when you want it. But, in setup, you tell it the kind of system, whether that's forced air, hydronic, etc. I know at least some of the Honeywell ones can do that as well. There are certainly some others, too.

I've had a Nest thermostat installed now for about 3-4 years. FWIW, Nest was bought by Google, and if you want to use some home automation that is based on Amazon's entry, you may not get full integration with your thermostat.

Heyjoe

Reaction score
Because a WiFi connected thermostat is always using power, it may need the C or common wire from the source (in your case, the boiler). Now, depending on the configuration, it MIGHT work without that wire, but it certainly will work if you can provide it. Some simpler digital thermostats rely on just replaceable batteries. The Nest does have an internal, rechargeable battery. Keep in mind a simple thermostat is basically a light switch. When needed, it closes a switch to apply power to something to make it work. But, the switch itself doesn't have a 'return' to complete a circuit, that return is in the boiler or furnace. On a HVAC system, that 'return' is the C connection. The thermostats like the Nest prefer constant power. THey can work with some systems without it, but you can't really tell for sure until you try it, then need to run another wire, if it isn't already in your cable. If there's a spare wire in your cable, or you can run a new one, it's certain that it will work.

Different systems work best when the thermostat is properly setup to complement it. The better digital ones have multiple setups. Some of them, including the Nest, 'learn' the response of your heating/cooling system, and instead of just being a dumb timer, can adjust when it needs to start to get the temperature where and when you want it. But, in setup, you tell it the kind of system, whether that's forced air, hydronic, etc. I know at least some of the Honeywell ones can do that as well. There are certainly some others, too.

I've had a Nest thermostat installed now for about 3-4 years. FWIW, Nest was bought by Google, and if you want to use some home automation that is based on Amazon's entry, you may not get full integration with your thermostat.

Thanks, I have batteries in mine I wasn’t really thinking it through.My thoughts were only on the two thermostat wires.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
There are many WiFi thermostats cheaper than the NEST that would allow you to check or set the temperature remotely. I've seen Honeywell T6s for under $60 on sale, though typical retail is $90-100 at box stores.

PeterDux

Reaction score
I have Nest thermostats in my house without common wires and they work fine. When I installed my new boiler the electrician warned me that I might need a common wire with the new system, and just because they worked with the old circulators they might not with the new. Not a problem, it turns out. Even the basement zone thermostat, which has yet to call for heat this season, has remained charged.

Eversource (and other energy providers) provide pretty substantial discounts/rebates on Nests. Right now the Nest E is $69 on Eversource, the original Nest is $149. They were as low as $39 and $99 a few months ago. I like the iPhone interface and scheduling app: easy to use.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Eversource (and other energy providers) provide pretty substantial discounts/rebates on Nests. Right now the Nest E is $69 on Eversource, the original Nest is $149. They were as low as $39 and $99 a few months ago. I like the iPhone interface and scheduling app: easy to use.

Yes, but Heyjoe is in Colorado, well outside of Eversource's service territory. We don't know what sort of subsidies may be available through his utility or state. If he's in Xcel's service territory there are $50 instant rebates available, but that's only about half the subsidy (or less) offered by most MA utilities. (MA usually leads the nation for efficiency policy program spending.)

FWIW: I picked up a pair of Honeywell T6 @ $25/each off the MassSave site last year, but needed to give them my Eversource or National Grid acct # to get that price as part of their Terms & Conditions. They're substantially more expensive than that on web stores & box stores.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Whether the Nest needs the common wire really depends on the system it is hooked up to. Some systems will let the thing charge up and work fine, some won't. Having it, always works. You won't necessarily know unless you confirm it with the manufacturer, or try it. If you're not prepared to add the C wire, I'd be leery about installing one unless I knew it would work first. You can read the installation information online, and it does warn you that with some systems, it will need the common wire for reliable operation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks