Thanks for all your help selecting a toilet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Fun2Learn

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help selecting a toilet. I have been "geeking out" over toilets this past month---I never realized how complicated selecting a toilet has gotten since the newer low gpf requirements, and the chair-height vs standard vs round vs elongated options have become so prevalent!! I started out reading the Consumer Reports reviews and then read reviews of actual buyers of the toilets and became totally confused. I know from experience from CR's reviews of other products that you have to take their reviews "with a grain of salt"! So I came to this forum and asked questions and read past posts as well. You all helped me eventually develop a rudimentary consumer's knowledge of the toilets out there and what was what!

Since we were on a very tight budget for fixing up our house to get it ready to sell it this spring, and since I decided that I really wanted a standard height, round toilet for the "kids" small bathroom, I finally decided to get the American Standard Cadet 3 in the standard height, round, 1.6 gpf version -- which HD had (online) on sale for $132! Thanks to all your cautions, I will just inspect it carefully and return it for a replacement if it has problems. (I have more time than money!) Reading through some of the older posts, it sounds like Terry recommends the Cadet 3 if you can't afford a Toto, and said that their design seemed to copy the Drake, so I figured it would be like the "poor man's" Toto Drake, LOL!

I did call American Standard, by the way, and asked if the 1.6 gpf Cadet 3 would give a slightly better flush and bowl clean than the 1.28 and they did say, yes. They said that you could not adjust the 1.28 cadet to turn it into a 1.6 gpf, either, but that everything else was the same about the toilets.

Thanks again for this valuable forum and your willingness to help and to help educate the public.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks