Sump pump issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Hidden 1

Reaction score
I finally got the sump installed ,1/3 hp w verticle float on side.Issue I'm seeing is its short cycling or stopping before its emptied all out .then about a 20 second period an its pumping again about 4 or 5 seconds.It has the check valve an weep hole .
Do I need to adjust the float?
I dont want it stop an go or off then on 5 seconds so.often .
Any info is appreciated

Reach4

Reaction score
I finally got the sump installed ,1/3 hp w verticle float on side.Issue I'm seeing is its short cycling or stopping before its emptied all out .then about a 20 second period an its pumping again about 4 or 5 seconds.It has the check valve an weep hole .
Do I need to adjust the float?
I dont want it stop an go or off then on 5 seconds so.often .
Any info is appreciated
Yes, lengthen the tether, but be sure it is not positioned where it can get stuck.

There are alternatives to a tether float.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Is the float on a tether or rod? If it is a tether, then lengthen it if possible without it getting hung up. Do be aware that the pump might move around in the sump if not well fixed in place. On rod style floats it is sometimes not possible to increase the delta.

Does the pump take the water out of the sump faster than it seeps in? If the water seeps in too slowly, you might want to drill more holes, assuming it is a plastic sump well. You might need to enlarge the sump well.

With my sump, I set it so that the water needs to rise high enough to flood the perimeter drain, so the pump cycle not only empties the sump pit but also the entire perimeter drain in one cycle.

Hidden 1

Reaction score
I said verticle float meaning it only moves up or down vertically ,never can it move around horizontally floating on water as the other type can .
I hate those type!
Mine is similar to pic.
Doesnt look like it is adjustable .
When it's really really full to the brim it does run continually but when it gets at lower amounts it seems to be off/on cycling more often as mentioned in 1st post.

Attachments

• 63321_I.jpg
    63321_I.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I said verticle float meaning it only moves up or down vertically
I did not understand "verticle" but I do understand vertical.

As you found out, it has no adjustment to increase the delta. Your best option short of replacing it would be to shim the height of the pump/float so that it uses the larger storage capacity of the perimeter drain pipe.

Reach4

Reaction score
Does the switch have its own wire to a piggy-back plug? If so, you could use a different switch that is going to work better. There different kinds.

I would consider getting a Zoeller or Liberty sump pump for more money, and put that Harbor Freight pump aside as a spare.

Hidden 1

Reaction score
I think I may need to allow the flow thru to it better .I have several filters ,screen,etc an they may be restricting the flow in vs the pump out rate..
An it's out faster than refilled.
I noticed at very end of pipe about 35 ft it looks a bit like the water reverses a tad , but I do have a check valve a foot after pipe exits pump .

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I think I may need to allow the flow thru to it better .I have a lot of filters an they may be restricting the flow in vs the pump out rate
Filters on a sump pump -- for filtering the mash? I guess you are using this for something other than protecting a basement.

Hidden 1

Reaction score
It's not in a basement.
I'm going to do a few things to increase the water flow speed to it ,to keep up with the pump /exit speed ...
Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks