Submersible Pump Selection

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by Jazzman, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Jazzman

Jazzman Member

I’m finally ready for a new well pump after spending many months fishing out rusted drop pipe and pump that was installed in 1977!
    Any input on new pump choice would be very helpful. Well depth 358’. Static water level 329’. Pump setting @354’. Low producing well with .9 gallon recovery. Pumping into 300 gallon storage tank @0 psi. I’ve priced out a few——Berkeley, Gould’s and Flowise about 1/2 the price of Grundfos SP and AY McDonald.

Thanks!

2. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    A 5 GPM, 1/2HP should be all you need in any brand.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Jazzman

Jazzman Member

Ok, thanks for your help!

5. VAWellDriller

VAWellDriller Active Member

Mud rotary well driller, pump installer
    better check your curves....some 1/2 hp 5 gpm pumps wont build the head you need.....pick a brand and check

6. Jazzman

Jazzman Member

It’s interesting that you said that because I just heard from a Gould’s pump supplier that said with the amount of lift required I would need a 3/4 hp pump. The 1/2 hp was rated to 340’ and I have about 360’ by the time it goes into 300 gallon storage tank.

7. valveman

Pump Controls Technician
    It was a Goulds curve I was looking at. The 5GS05 will do 3 GPM from 360', and works up to 380'. A 3/4 HP won't hurt anything except to pump the well dry quicker.

8. Jazzman

Jazzman Member

Spoke to a local supplier who sells Flowise pumps to DIY folks. Also priced out a Berkeley MS TrimLine series online that was $100 more. Anyone have any thoughts on these two? Gould’s and Grundfos were $$$.

Thanks to all!

9. valveman

Pump Controls Technician
    Flowise is a copy of Goulds and should be fine. The Berkeley will have floating stage type impellers, which I do not prefer.