Submersible lake pump installed. Winter removal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Devon S

Reaction score
Just installed a well pump in the lake this weekend. It's in a 4" PVC sleeve/stand. I have to remove the pump before next winter and I'm guessing i should store it indoors or any remaining water will freeze and destroy the pump. Cutting and re-splicing the wires every year seems tedious and dumb. What are folks using for under water electrical plugs or the like?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
No plugs that I know of for underwater. Can you just roll up all the wire and leave it with the pump? Also store it standing up. The motor is full of water, which leaks out easier if you lay it on its side.

Devon S

Reaction score
Thanks, Cary. I've got some time so hopefully I can come up with something or some crafty Canuck will chime in with a solution. If not I'll just redo the splice each spring I guess.

I have one of your CSV's on the pressure tank. Thing of beauty.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The problem I have seen is damage from the movement of the ice. Where I am, if the pump is 3-4 feet below the surface, it is always below the ice where it is safe.

Devon S

Reaction score
The ice here can hit nearly 4 feet thick. My pump is in about 3 feet now, and the slope is very gradual which could complicate placement. I'd be worried about the ice destroying the pipe and wiring.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thanks, Cary. I've got some time so hopefully I can come up with something or some crafty Canuck will chime in with a solution. If not I'll just redo the splice each spring I guess.

I have one of your CSV's on the pressure tank. Thing of beauty.

You can also just unplug the motor leads from the motor. They should just screw in and out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks