Stripped Screw & Broken Extractor - Shower Faucet

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by emurdoch, Jul 17, 2016.

1. emurdoch

emurdoch New Member

I was trying to remove the shower faucet. It's Delta Monitor that's about 12 years old and the set screw just wouldn't budge... so, I cleaned with CLR let it soak in WD40 for a while.

Still managed to strip the screw using an Allen wrench, so I drilled it out and tapped in a Screw Extractor... but that broke off inside the faucet. (see pic)

There's very little space in there to get any kind of grip on the extractor and I'm out of ideas.
    IMG_0114.JPG

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    You may be looking at a new trim for that faucet then.
    I can see you drilling that out, and picking up a new handle for it.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. emurdoch

emurdoch New Member

Thanks for the quick reply... I wasn't sure that a dill bit would work on the hard Extractor metal.
    Are you thinking that I should just use the biggest bit I can fit in there and keep removing material until the handle comes off?

I need to replace the cartridge anyway, so I'm almost tempted to take a sawsall to the handle...I'd rather replace the handle versus busting tiles to get at the valve and replace everything.

5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    CUt the handle off below the set screw then install a new cartridge and handle. 1-800-345-DELT will send you both pieces.