Strainer drain vs. slightly cocked porcelain sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Giantsean

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Sorry for the repetitive questions on what amounts to this same stupid laundry sink. The last big problem I have is getting the drain flange to sit flush. The sink is not only a little rippled at the bottom, but the concavity around the drain is slightly smaller than 4.5" and a bit out of round. I was having a real problem with getting it to sit level even when torqued down. I ended up getting a Kohler strainer which covers the "hole." It's much beefier than the HD junk and rather than bending in, I can get it to lie somewhat flat. However one unfortunately placed ripple is causing one of the edges to not sit quite flush and causing an ever-so-slight gap.

I really like the sink/vanity combo and want to get it to work. I can probably get the vendor to ship me another but I suspect it will be more of the same. In real life, if I just slap in enough putty and sock it down should it fly? Looks is another matter but I can live with a tiny gap.

Thanks as always :)

IMG_20160821_231758505.jpg
IMG_20160825_230650236.jpg
IMG_20160825_230837299.jpg
IMG_20160825_230735648.jpg
IMG_20160825_230850552.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Ripples" can be ground away using an angle grinder w/masonry disk, just don't get exited and break the whole darn thing.

Giantsean

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys. @plumber, there is just the typical under-the-sink black gasket if that's what you mean. It actually helps a bit as part of the problem is that the sink underside is also wavy. @dj I assume you mean the underside right? The waves are on the inside of the basin unfortunately. However I am honestly not sure if porcelain sinks are enameled or just polished. If there is a way to improve the situation I could try it.

Reach4

Reaction score
How big is the gap? Can you slide a dime in there?

Giantsean

Reaction score
Yes at the widest point (visible in the right of the pic) a dime will slide in there quite easily. In fact I lost the dime in there while testing :)

This all assumes I angle it downward so that it drops in the concavity... if the dime is sitting flat against the sink bottom it will not go in.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Did you buy the sink locally? If so, you may be able to take your strainer with you and go back to the store and see if it fits one of the other sinks (of the same model) better. Maybe you just got one that is out of spec.

Giantsean

Reaction score
No unfortunately it is fairly special. I'm sure it's made overseas (didn't catch where - probably China but maybe Philippines) and is more Euro spec than US. It is built to fit with the vanity with which it came. That's kind of the rub because it's exactly what we need, hence the drive to make it work :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks