Standpipe for softener needs vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

ml1337

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a softener and have discussed options with professional installers. One of them told me that he was going to install a standpipe and a p-trap off my main 4'' drain pipe in the basement (photo attached). I asked him what he had planned for venting this trap, since the nearest vent is on the other side of the house and buried in a wall upstairs. He said the standpipe didn't need venting. I asked for details since I thought all p-traps needed venting, and he gave me some weird explanation about how the air gap was sufficient for venting the trap. That didn't make sense to me. But I don't know all the ins and outs of the plumbing code so I didn't insist. I figured I could turn to this wonderful forum for answers... So... Do I need a vent for this softener standpipe, at least an AAV?

Pic.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks