Solvent weld tub drains

Users who are viewing this thread

tomcat22

Reaction score
I'm remodeling and installing a new tub in a new location. I'm planning on using all PVC drain for the tub gluing up all connections and would like some advice on installation sequence. I don't have access from below, but I can cut out the ceiling below if need be. I'm also in a tight space with the drain right next to a joist.

Here is my plan (I will dry fit before proceeding):
Glue up the drain, including the p-trap and a small riser to bring the 1.5" PVC to approx. floor level
Attach drain and overflow to the tub
Install tub in alcove. Drain will be glued up and inserted simultaneously.

My concerns are getting a good weld for this final PVC connection since I won't be able to rotate the pipes to spread the glue. I'll also have to worry about leveling the tub at the same time as I ensure a good drain connection.

Is this the way to go?

P.S. I had trouble finding a drain that fit my tub. The overflow connection area is vertical and all the brass drains had a tilt to the fitting that wouldn't fit.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't suggest trying your procedure. You will not be able to see, or "wish" that final piece into place, and the open time of the glue will work against you.

Take very careful measurements of the layout. Assemble and install in place the entire W/O assembly and trap ( on the building pipes, not to the tub.) Dry fit the tub in and out a few times to make sure all lines up. Finally drop the tub in and assemble the waste flange and the overflow flange.

Be careful trying to dryfit PVC. You cannot really assemble PVC fittings dry to the final depth they will go to when assembled with glue.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

If the riser is in the correct location, centered on the tub and away from the wall, then I preassemble the waste and overflow to the tub and then assemble it to the riser before dropping the tub in place. IF the drain is offset, then I take the necessary measurements and assemble the shoe and overflow at the proper points, and then place the tub over them. The only times I put the drain on the tub first is when there is access from the back or below, because I use a Mission, or similar, coupling, not glue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks