Fitting solvent weld p-trap to tub drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Jetboy55

Reaction score
I'm installing new pvc trap arm to my existing tub. Also replacing the tub drain and overflow assembly, using a new t-waste drain assembly from Jones Stephens. I'm also using a standard solvent weld 1 1/2 in p-trap. Not having done this in over 15 years, I realized there is something I don't know. Will the 1 1/2 in pvc p-trap mate up to the tub drain? Is so, will it also be a solvent weld connection?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm installing new pvc trap arm to my existing tub. Also replacing the tub drain and overflow assembly, using a new t-waste drain assembly from Jones Stephens. I'm also using a standard solvent weld 1 1/2 in p-trap. Not having done this in over 15 years, I realized there is something I don't know. Will the 1 1/2 in pvc p-trap mate up to the tub drain? Is so, will it also be a solvent weld connection?
It depends on which tub drain (shoe) you buy. There are different types.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If its this one.. Yes. Solvent weld.
1680895290132.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Glue it up Jet boy! 1 1/2 should be good unless its a long trap arm Not that common to require 2 inch.

Jetboy55

Reaction score
Yeah, thanks for the help. That is the one I ordered due to an obstruction. It is 1 1/2, and I'm just under the maximum length in Wisconsin. I forgot that the drain fitting is basically a san-tee.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I thought the santee was a seperate piece but I guess not with this kit . It should function fine maybe even better We just dont do it that way unless an issue like you hase

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks