Softener, Help identifying what I have

Users who are viewing this thread

mobile goat

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just moved into a new house that has a water softening system. I've never had one before and am just trying to figure out what I have and what I need to do to maintain it.

There are two tanks connected in series that each have an independent regen cycle every 3 days. What I mean is that each tank has its own control valve and the two don't talk to each other. The brine tank is only hooked up to the first tank (on the left).

So my questions are pretty general - what do I have here, what does it do, and what do I need to do to keep it running? Should I periodically hook the brine tank up to the second tank? Do I just feed it salt and that's it? All help is much appreciated.

20200411_180043.jpg 20200411_180115.jpg 20200411_180139.jpg

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
LOL, the "NO DLFC" tag is still on the AIO system. You might want to take the drain line out and check it, The assembler is supposed to remove that tag when they install a DLFC button.

My guess is a softener and some sort of AIO system. Notice the check valve on the regen line on the Clack valve? This would indicate they are using the system for air draw. It should have some sort of screen so as to prevent sucking in a fly or a bug... The tank on the left appears to be a standard softener.

I am guessing you are on a private well. You should get a real water test done otherwise we are just throwing wild guesses at what you need.

http://watercheck.myshopify.com?aff=5 Click on the link to go to a great site for water testing. The well standard is ideal for most well water applications.

Last edited:

mobile goat

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! I found some vendor literature stashed away from the previous owner.

It says the following is installed:
-10x54 Softener/Filter c/w a 255/740i control valve (first tank?)
-10x54 Clack carbon

The issues to be addressed are listed as:
-Hardness, iron, manganese.
-A handwritten note saying hydrogen sulfide

Also says I need the clean the injector screens and injectors every 6 months. Ill need to google that. If you have any tips, Id like to hear them.

What am I looking for when I take out the drain line? just erosion and wear from washing the resin out?

Thanks again, all pretty new to me.

Reach4

Reaction score
Some comments:

The main path.... check it.
  1. From well pressure tank to softener in.
  2. from softener out to Clack backwashing H2S filter in
  3. Clack backwashing filter out to house

img_3.jpg

Legend
A: air intake
B: brine line to/from brine tank.
C:drain line for softener
D: drain line for H2S filter

Note the H2S filter and the softener have their inputs on opposite sides.

Unknown: how does the cartridge filter near the wall connect?
You need to have a spare o-ring for that cartridge filter before opening that housing. Without a bypass, if you cannot reuse the same o-ring, you would be out of water. Also, prepare to change that cartridge, because it could get clogged up.

mobile goat

Reaction score
Thanks for the help! all the lines are clear. no debris, no leaks.

The cartridge filter is in line downstream of the H2S filter with no bypass. There is a spare o ring hung on thre lever valve. If I need to use it, I'll make sure to replace the spare.

There isn't a rubber DLFC button installed inside the H2S drain line (D). Is it possible this was left out for a reason?

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
A DLFC (drain line flow control) is a flow restrictor that limits the flow rate to a specific GPM while backwashing the carbon. When the flow rate is too high as is most likely without a DLFC restrictor installed as signified by the NO DLFC tag still attached, then the carbon media will have been lifted too high during backwash, which may have resulted in the loss of some of the carbon media to drain. Checking the drain line was to determine if there is any carbon media or other residue observed and to ensure the drain line has not been blocked with carbon or iron debris.

As you seem to be relying on ancient and incomplete information, it is then advisable to obtain a comprehensive lab test for your raw well water. With a private well, you are responsible to ensure the water remains safe for consumption and the results will identify water conditions and the quantities of each mineral and other contents.

National Labs WaterCheck is often recommended on this forum but I'm not certain that lab would be appropriate due to sending the samples across the border.

As carbon media should be replaced about every 5 years, you may wish to do so after obtaining the lab test results to help to establish if carbon will be the most appropriate treatment method.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
So my questions are pretty general - what do I have here, what does it do, and what do I need to do to keep it running? Should I periodically hook the brine tank up to the second tank? Do I just feed it salt and that's it? All help is much appreciated.
How is the water for you now?

Yes, keep some salt always above water. You can fill the brine tank with salt, and then add more before the salt level drops too much.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks