Snaking with back to back toilets, be careful people!

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Snaking with back to back toilets, be careful people! Sometimes the fitting between the two bowls allows the snake to skip across the fitting, and come up the other side. Here is an example of that.

broken-bowl-with-snake.jpg

This can also happen with back to back sinks or lavs, though not as serious as something like a broken toilet.
Has anyone here had something like this happen to them in the field? I don't own snaking equipment, so for me, it's stories that I hear.
I did hire a friend of mine to snake my mothers place and he found that the gas company had drilled through the sewer to the street and he wound up cutting their gas line.

back_to_back_kohler.jpg

A better way to plumb back to back on the left.

Doug Hjellen

Reaction score
I was called out to a job to assist our service guy who was having an issue clearing a drain.......This is what I found when I arrived.
The broken toilet is in a separate unit across the hallway. When he ran the large cables they went past the vertical, into the next unit and up the toilet..... smashing it to pieces. Along with marking up the walls and baseboard, the head of the snake dug a hole into the tile!
After clearing the drain we sent a camera down to take a look. We found that both of the units were connected to the vertical with a double Tee.

broken-toilet-vit-02.jpg

broken-toilet-vit-01.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks