Smoke Detector breaks when I plug it in

Users who are viewing this thread

Stacey A Sorawat

Reaction score
I have hardwired smoke detectors in my house. The smoke detectors are ac powered and 9 volt powered. When I first moved into my new house a few years ago the smoke detector in my bedroom failed after 6 months. The next one failed after 5 months. This cycle continued until instant failure. Now when I ever I plug in a smoke detector it instantly breaks. I think it must be a voltage issue. Does anyone have suggestions or have ideas on what the issue could be?

Stuff

Reaction score
Get a multi-meter and measure voltage on red wire. Remove all units throughout the house and should be zero.

Stacey A Sorawat

Reaction score
The smoke detector stops working when I plug it in. I measured 120 VAC on the read wire. Thanks for the red wire tip. When I plugged the smoke detector in to the black and white wire only it worked. Something must be wrong with the red wire. I don't know why the red wire is only affected in that room only. The others work as designed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The red wire is the trigger that causes the other alarms to turn on...it should NOT have 120vac on it! Someone has potentially miswired it, and if in fact it does go to the other alarms in the house, they are suspect.

If I had to make a guess, that cable probably goes through an electrical box somewhere, and somebody connected the red wire to a switch leg of something, thinking that all of the red wires should be connected together. It might be a pain to find the problem. Another possibility (and there are lots of them), is that the insulation got damaged, and it is shorted to a hot wire somewhere. Finding that could be a pain as well. If someone did not use nailing plates to protect the wire, and they hammered in a nail to hang a picture, that nail could have shorted things together.

You could leave the red wire disconnected and get a new unit to work until you can find out where that red wire is getting the improper voltage. It won't trigger the other alarms in the house, but you may not care.

If you're interested in a better alarm, you might consider the Nest Protect unit. I put some in about a year ago and then installed some at my mother's house. Those do NOT use the red wire, and talk to each other via a closed, wireless connection. They also 'talk' on your WiFi network, and you can monitor them from remote...if one goes off, it will send you an e-mail. They are a combined smoke and CO detector, last 10-years, which is a long time for a CO detector. FWIW, all of the companies recommend you change your detector at 10-year intervals, even if they self-test okay. Those units are dual-mode, which means that they detect both fast/hot fires, and slow smoldering ones. Most units only detect one type of fire, and can allow things to progress further if the fire happens to be the opposite of what it's best at detecting. Eventually, either type of fire will trigger either type, but there may be a delay. These detect both, so get a faster response all of the time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks