Washing Machine Siphon Break Question

Users who are viewing this thread

charlesb

Reaction score
Let me ask the question first--before I describe the sad saga:
Is it safe to continue using my clothes washer with the siphon break bypassed?

Now for the details: I'm having new LVT tile installed in my laundry room and adjacent room. I happened to notice that the crew pulled the washer out of its cubbyhole without disconnecting the lines. I thought that odd, but I didn't say anything. Later, after I thought they were about finished, I looked in to check on the progress, and the new floor was covered in water. The guys said the washing machine broke. He handed me the broken part, which I later found was the siphon break and the broken elbow. Apparently, the elbow broke when they pulled the machine out, and it then poured water on the floor when they plugged it back in. After I figured out what the part was, they told me they had fixed it. That seemed strange, since I was still holding the siphon break and broken elbow in my hand. Apparently, they just bypassed the siphon break. I wonder if they would have ever mentioned it if I had not happened to walk in before he had a chance to "fix" it. It will cost me a hundred bucks or so to get it fixed, but back to my original question: Is it safe to continue using my clothes washer with the siphon break bypassed? My drain hose is a rubber U-shaped hose that fits into the drain in the wall, and the sewer line and septic tank are below the washer. It seems to me like it would be unlikely for sewer water to back up into the tub, but then I'm no plumber.

My plumber is closed for the day, and my wife wants to wash the bedspread where the dog yacked last night, so I thought I would see if any experts here might volunteer some advice. :) And BTW: what is that little thing where the arrow is? It looks and feels a lot like a candle wick.
Thanks,
Charlie

Attachments

• 20231128_155146_Labeled.jpg
    20231128_155146_Labeled.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 34

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
The drain pipe connection is an air-gap drain. Unless the drain pipe backs up and overflows there is little or no chance. Any overflow will be on the floor. However since the machine has one it should be replaced. If you can deduct the amount you owe to the tilers?

charlesb

Reaction score
The drain pipe connection is an air-gap drain. Unless the drain pipe backs up and overflows there is little or no chance. Any overflow will be on the floor. However since the machine has one it should be replaced. If you can deduct the amount you owe to the tilers?
Thanks. I complained to their employer. He was apologetic, and he agreed to pay for the repair plus the spare box of tile to replace the ones they removed after the flood. I'm beginning to wonder if "Luxury Vinyl Tile" is actually a good solution for laundry rooms. The old vinyl tile had worked well for the 40 years we have owned the house; it survived a previous flooded washer just fine.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
It could be it may take months for the adhesive to cure. A lot of old adhesives, paint and just everything may have been reformulated due to gas-ing and other environment requirements.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks